Chapter 8: Under Truth & Pain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Johnny's POV-

I held Jaehyun back with the same affection. But before pulling him away, I felt his grip on my wrist. Gradually, our eyes met, and it let me wipe off Jaehyun's tears. Every time he hears anything about my past, he gets so emotional; after all, I used to act normal around him even though I had problems behind my back. And then, he went away and left me alone with all of those conflicts; I still believe Jaehyun blames himself for not helping me more, but honestly, he did more than that for me when we were younger.

-Jaehyun, stay composed. You got to focus on the investigation; it is your case, and you have to keep going. – I said while holding Jaehyun's face between my hands.

-Hyung. – Jaehyun breathed while trying to stop his tears.

-It's okay. Nothing's going to happen to me, I promise. – I said, smiling slightly at my lover.

Jaehyun nodded, trying to keep himself calm again. -Is that the object Sehun was searching for, Johnny? – He asked while looking at the pen drive.

-I suppose it is; there's nothing else that he could want from this place. – I said, glancing at my hand. I sighed before feeling Jaehyun's lips on my cheek, and then he started to hug me.

-John, can't you only stay away from danger? Shit, it feels scary now. – Jaehyun murmured while holding me tightly.

-What do you mean by that? – I asked while caressing Jaehyun's hair.

-My job. I don't feel scared whenever I have a case "this" complicated. But when you get involved with it, I can't stop worrying about your safety. – Jaehyun admitted while looking at me.

-But there's nothing you should worry about, Jaehyun. Is that why you are so moody? Did I get you? – I questioned, attempting to make Jaehyun smile, which I successfully achieved.

-It's a lot to take in, you know. And I feel emotionally drained because the case it's somehow related to my sister. – Jaehyun disclosed, immediately making me remember what Sehun told me at my apartment.

-I understand the pressure; I honestly do, Jaehyun. But keep it up, let's finish here and go home. – I said before patting Jaehyun's cheek. He nodded before we stood up from the floor. Briefly, I closed the closet, placed the pen drive in my pocket, and then got out of the office with Jaehyun.

-Hyung! – Jeno spoke while walking towards Jaehyun with the other agent, Camile.

-Hey, what happened with the guards? – Jaehyun asked while approaching his teammates.

-Both of them said that Hak Sehun got inside the building. They were ready to intercept him since they saw him through the video of the security cameras. But it seems that Hak Sehun didn't come alone. – Camile disclosed while showing Jaehyun the footage of the camera on her phone. It's obvious. That's Sehun and his companion with a mask and glasses on.

-Do you recognize that guy, Mr. Suh? – Jeno asked while pointing at Sehun's companion.

-No, but if Sehun was with that man, I believe he might be close to him. – I revealed thoughtfully.

-Like a friend, you suggest? – Camile questioned, which I nodded for as a response.

-We can reduce the search with that information. – Jaehyun spoke before giving Camile her phone.

-Cap! – Yuta shouted before the rest of Jaehyun's team approached our spot.

-Yuta, what's the report? – Jaehyun asked.

-Our task is over for tonight. We gathered all the necessary evidence and the research team took it back to the lab to get fingerprints and reveal some codes we found on the documents Mr. Suh gave us access to check. – Yuta explained before looking at me.

It might be my gut, but I believe Yuta is starting to suspect about my knowledge on the current case.

-Alright. Everyone, go back home, and we'll discuss the rest the next morning. – Jaehyun ordered, to which everybody responded in agreement. I noticed that Yuta didn't move his eyes away from me, making me believe that he knows something else regarding my connection with the case.

*Evening – Johnny's department*

I took Jaehyun back to my place. I felt much better knowing that he's staying with me and not in his destroyed house. So when we arrived, the first thing I told Jaehyun was to feel at home, which he comfortably did. He showered and took one last look at the files Taeyong sent him of the documents found at Sehun's office. In the meantime, I set up the ambiance of the apartment; I played some homey music and showered after Jaehyun. But once I got out of the bathroom, I began to think about what Sehun told me when he came to my apartment. The way he kept silent when I asked for Jaehyun's sister and her murder, he gave me all the answers I needed, and I'm unsure of what to do with the information I hold.

Right now, I'm thinking about that only inquiry while looking through the window of the bedroom. I'm holding the back of my head while looking at my phone. The temptation of calling Sehun is eating me alive; after all, I know he would tell me what his plan is about if I only ask. Yet, I don't want to put him in danger by revealing his next movements to me.

I took a deep breath before leaving my phone on the small table next to me. And then, I stared at the city lights through my window.

-You are more thoughtful than usual. – Jaehyun spoke while holding my shoulder.

-It looks like you noticed; I'm proud. – I teased, smiling slightly.

-Finally! It took me a long time to make you feel proud of me. – Jaehyun followed my game, making us laugh. But then, I felt Jaehyun's hands around my waist, pulling me closer to his body. Eventually, his chin rested on my shoulder while I held his hands surrounding me.

-Thank you for letting me stay. I promise I'll get my house repaired as soon as I possibly can, honey. – Jaehyun spoke, his voice sounding lower and soft.

-No need to rush anything; you know you are always welcome to stay. – I smiled before resting my head on his.

-Are you honestly okay? I'm sincerely worried about you, Johnny. – Jaehyun whispered before pressing my hand gently.

-I need to talk with you about something meaningful to you. -  I said while stepping away from Jaehyun, and then I faced him.

Jaehyun took my hand and guided me to the bed. We sat down while facing each other; I wanted to speak immediately, but a tight knot on my throat wasn't making it easy.

-Johnny, what is it? – Jaehyun asked while looking at me, concerned.

I took a deep breath before holding Jaehyun's hand tighter. -Do you remember when you came to my apartment earlier this day? – I questioned.

-Yes, I got upset after your declaration to Yuta. So, I came to your apartment. – Jaehyun pointed out.

-You did, but you also knew that Sehun came to see me. – I said, which Jaehyun nodded for as a response. -Well, I asked Sehun about your sister; I needed to know if he was, somehow, connected with that murder. He didn't respond to my inquiry but gave me all the answers I needed. – I explained, showing my sincere concern.

-Wait for just a second, are you telling me that Hak Sehun killed Leyla? Why? Why would he? – Jaehyun questioned, losing his mind after the sudden revelation. Immediately, I held Jaehyun tightly against me while trying to console him as much as possible. But soon after, he started to sob and hide his face against my shoulder.

-I'm so sorry. – I murmured while some tears ran through my cheeks.