( 𝐢 )

5 STAGES OF GRIEF

5 STAGES OF GRIEF

~

DEATH was fleeting in her life, the sorrow had been quick and merciful. She was fool for thinking it would be that easy; a fool because for the first time in her life, she didn't know how to live with it.

STAGE 1: THE DENIAL

A living wraith: that's what she became.

After the temporary high of celebrations after the war, everything came crashing down on her like heavy rain. Her father is dead; gone.

At first she thought she could get through it silently. After all, her mother was still with her, even if their house in Ottery St. Catchpole reduced to nothing but hushed tones and forcing a facade.

But eventually, the conversations with her mother turned into clipped replies, the fake smiles faded as soon as her friends left the house and reading letters from them became a tiresome chore.

Despite it, Margo still tried. Especially when it was Draco's letters, knowing fully well her mother hadn't allowed him to come over yet due to the wariness she had towards his parents.

She didn't blame her mum for her concern; couldn't bring herself to.

The mornings were the most bearable, though. The dark cloud that surrounded her mind—much unbeknownst to her—was still being bathed by warm rays of the sun that dared to shine through their windows.

She did her best to use the hours as a distraction by doing basic things like reading or watching a bit of the telly—anything that took her mind far away from her father's demise, or the funeral that she attended a month back and was forced to hear people say 'I'm so sorry' over and over again.

Yet, even if that distraction had been her goal, her habits said otherwise.

They started small at first, like taking glances at the door by the foyer as if expecting it to open anytime soon to reveal her father smiling tiredly from work.

Margo didn't know what she was doing, of course. She simply thought it was natural to sit by the armchair with a book in her hand—which was exactly situated near the foyer, right in front of their dark spruce door.

And when she went to sleep that night, she didn't know why a sudden sprain in her neck had formed the next morning.

Then things started to get worse.