xix. Shit Goes Down

~

~

THE excruciating scream that Amycus let out once he spotted the too-still body of his sister was truly terrifying.

I almost let out a squeak because of how startled I got — in fact, I actually did, I was just lucky that it went unheard in the midst of all his yelling.

"What've they done, the little whelps?" he raged. "I'll Cruciate the lot of 'em 'till they tell me who did it—and what's the Dark Lord going to say? We haven't got him, and they've gorn and killed her!"

Despite the scare I got earlier, I rolled my eyes at his theatrics. Honestly, he should become an actor; Shakespeare would've been proud of him.

"She's only Stunned. She'll be perfectly alright," McGonagall said impatiently, looking at the man with such distaste; stupid, blubbering idiot, her face seemed to say.

"No she bludgering well won't! Not after the Dark Lord gets hold of her! She's gorn and sent for him, I felt me Mark burn, and he thinks we've got Potter!"

If his Mark had burned, then perhaps so had Draco's. My stomach churned uneasily. Please, I thought, don't come here.

"'Got Potter'?" McGonagall said sharply, the boredom gone from her face. "What do you mean, 'got Potter'?"

"He told us Potter and Lovett might try and get inside Ravenclaw Tower, and to send for him if we caught them!"

Harry and I looked at each other wide eyes, feeling my heart beat right through my clothes. "He knows," I mouthed to him. He just nodded solemnly and clenched his jaw. We were losing time.

"Why would Potter or Lovett try to get inside Ravenclaw Tower? Potter belongs in my house and Lovett is a proud Hufflepuff!"

Damn right, I am.

"We was told they might come in here! I dunno why, do I?"

McGonagall glared at him before taking it upon herself to scan the room, her beady eyes almost resembling a hawk's as they swept around the room twice. Even if I was hidden under the Cloak, I still felt bare and seen as she did it.

"We can push it off on the kids," Amycus suddenly said. "Yeah, that's what we'll do. We'll say Alecto was ambushed by the kids, them kids up there, and we'll say they forced her to press her Mark, and that's why he got a false alarm. . .he can punish them. Couple of kids more or less, what's the difference."

Fresh, hot rage bubbled inside me. I smoothly took out my wand from my back pocket and gripped it tightly as I gritted my teeth to prevent myself from saying anything. From my peripheral, Harry and Luna did the same.

"Only the difference between truth and lies, courage and cowardice, a difference, in short, which you and your sister seem unable to appreciate," McGonagall said stiffly, her face pale with cold fury. "But let me make one thing very clear. You are not going to pass off your many ineptitudes on the students of Hogwarts. I will not permit it."