xvi. Caught

.

DECIDING to go to the library this late at night probably just wasted my time.

I was so overwhelmed with the story of Genevieve I couldn't even think straight.

First, she hides in the forest to guard something inside a tree, reminding me the dreams I've been having. Then, Ruby finishes the story on the most clueless way possible by saying that she planted an evil curse on the world.

I have a curse, for Merlin's sake!

The coincidence seemed too much. I mean, having the power to levitate something too? That was just pushing it.

The thoughts consumed me so much I missed the library entrance twice. Thankfully when I rounded the corner again I didn't, so I quickly browsed through the section Ruby got the book from and took it out, immediately flipping to the right chapter.

I sighed heavily after I read. It didn't say anything specific about the curse she put.

So I left the library begrudgingly, making my way to the Astronomy Tower by taking the secret shortcuts I remembered in every corridor, courtesy of Fred and George.

I didn't know what made me want to go to the Astronomy Tower. I heard it's the number one spot for students nowadays. Usually I always resorted to my dorm but I needed some fresh air. 

Coming out from a portrait, I emerged into the seventh-floor. It wasn't past curfew yet but the corridor was empty and quiet, which was usually eerie if not for the torches.

I walked to the far end of the corridor and prepared myself to climb up the swirling steps, heaving when I reached the top.

Merlin, I am out of shape.

From the landing, the view of the night sky was magnificent. Stars of different sizes and brightness glittered everywhere.

It almost looked surreal, like a giant banner of the stars just hung from the roof. The stars looked so close to the earth it was tempting to reach out for them.

Towards the far right I spotted the only constellation I knew: the Dragon.

I was about to make my way towards the far end of the tower, towards the terrace that overlooked everything the terrain and sky.

Of course, my plans had to be ruined because I wasn't the only one in the tower. There was someone else in front of the terrace, sitting at the far edge and letting their feet dangle into the grounds below. The only thing that prevented the person from falling to their death was the metal railing.

It was too dark for me to see clearly, but from the uniform of trousers and white polo I knew he was a boy. With his back turned to me, I couldn't see his face. His clean cut hair was tousled as if he ran his hands through them mercilessly, looking almost silver in the moonlight.