vii. The Dreaded Defense Lesson

.

BY the time I left the Hospital Wing, my hand was wrapped securely with a gauze and I was three minutes late.

On my way to my Defense Against the Dark Arts, I began to think about Draco's odd behavior. His handkerchief was now stuffed in the bottom of my bag after I ran a Scourgify spell to remove the blood. The fact that he willingly gave it to me was a thought that I couldn't wrap my head around clearly.

He was, after all, my only literal nemesis in this school. I'm sure he felt the same about me so it was so unexpected that he'd give it to me so willingly.

"Margo, Margo!"

I snapped out of my reverie, focusing my eyes on the red-head snapping her fingers in front of my face and Ernie leaning against the doorframe next to her. I blinked and took a step back, not even realizing that I already reached my classroom.

I shook my head to clear away the thought, telling myself that I was probably just overthinking the situation.

"Ruby," I said.

"What happened? How's your hand?"

I grinned widely and held up my bandaged hand, taking in the grimace on their faces when they saw the blood seeping through. It didn't sting as much as before, thanks to the Dittany that Madame Pomfrey applied.

"I accidentally cut myself with the knife," I explained.

Ernie threw his head back with a loud cackle, crinkles appearing around his eyes. "Ever so clumsy, Lovett," he teased.

I stuck my tongue out at him, reaching over to ruffle his head only to miss. Ruby hooked her arm with mine and lead us into the classroom, the smile instantly dropping from my face as upon seeing Professor Umbridge already waiting by the blackboard wearing a horrid black bow on her head.

"Why does she look like my great-aunt Susie," Ernie muttered.

We took our places, me opting to sit next to Hermione to let Ernie and Ruby sit together.

No one spoke a word or even uttered a whisper, everyone was too busy waiting for Umbridge to say something. I squirmed in my seat, not bearing well with the uncomfortable silence that ensued in the room.

"Well, good afternoon!" She chirped only to be greeted back with the dullest replies.

"Tut, tut. That won't do now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

Oh, she was that kind of teacher. I had to refrain myself from rolling my eyes at her because I was seated right at the front, only chanting monotonously along with the rest of the class.

"There, now," she smiled sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

I exchanged a glum look with Ruby and Ernie; the class was already starting out as boring just as expected. In the front, Professor Umbridge flourished her wand and let the words write themselves on the blackboard.