xxv. The End is Just Beginning

DEATH is always unexpected, this much I know. Sometimes it also isn't, like waiting beside a sick or old person and knowing that their time was up.

Most of the time during a war, it could be both. Knowing that there's a chance you are going to die, but you don't know how or when.

It's been a whole week since the battle at the Ministry. I could barely even remember what happened after seeing Sirius die. One moment I was sitting on the stone steps and then the next I was at Hogwarts again, in the Hospital Wing with my dad right beside me.

The morning after that I went back to the Common Room where Ruby and Ernie were waiting by the fireplace, hand in hand. They looked anxious and worried, Ruby looked like she had been crying — maybe Professor Sprout told them what had happened. It was then upon seeing them that I finally allowed myself to break down crying about everything I felt; almost being kidnapped by Death Eaters, finding out I had my own prophecy — seeing Sirius die.

It didn't help that the Minister finally let out a public statement that Voldemort was back. I couldn't help but scoff when I read the Prophet, as if Harry and Dumbledore hadn't been telling him since last year.

The first few days were hard to adjust — they always were. Sirius and I were not as close as Harry and him were, but he was a good man who deserved so much more.

Everyone seemed to be recovering smoothly, slowly but steadily, just like I was. The only person who seemed to be so lost all the time was Harry. I didn't blame him, though. There were countless times where I wanted to talk to him about it, to make him open up and seek for comfort. The only thing he told me was that night he went after Bellatrix, when he saw Voldemort in the flesh.

One afternoon, Ruby, Ernie and I decided to have a small picnic in the grassy courtyard, laying out a mat, bringing food from the kitchens and everything.

"It's our last week as fifth-years!" Ruby said excitedly. "And, our exams are finally over so we have to have this picnic!"

Ernie sighed. His head was placed on Ruby's lap and he closed his eyes.

"Can you rub my temples?" he asked. "Your voice is giving me a headache."

Ruby gasped exaggeratedly as I laughed.

"You're the smoothest, Ern," I joked.

"Thank you." He grinned.

Ruby just shook her head in false disappointment but I could see the corners of her mouth tug up reluctantly.

"Rub your own temples," she said haughtily. I bit the bottom of my lip to suppress a giggle.

I guess Ruby and Ernie finally sorted out their feelings while I was gone. I could barely contain my excitement when they told me the news. That same night I dragged Ruby up my dorm and begged her to tell me everything that happened, right down to the minute details.

Apparently it was Ruby who made the first move and confessed to Ernie about her feelings, figuring that it was the best way since summer was around the corner. Luckily for her, all Ernie did to shut her rambling was to give her a swift kiss on the cheek. Then the rest is history.

"Miss Lovett?"

Our conversation immediately ceased when we spotted Professor Sprout standing by one of the entrances of the courtyard, just a few meters away from our picnic.