xx. Sectumsempra

.

TW // blood )

DISTRACTIONS upon distractions was what I succumbed to after confronting Draco. Studying extra material and hanging out with my usual gang of friends was what I mainly did — anything to get my mind off him.

I didn't even tell them what had happened. That day, after he left, and I had rushed to my next class, Ruby and Ernie knew not to ask question upon seeing my face. It's been weeks since it happened, not once did they ever bring it up, and for that I was thankful. And as far as I know, Hermione and Ginny still think I haven't talked to him yet.

Not once did I cry about it, oddly enough, since I thought I would. At first all I felt was anger and bitterness towards him because he just abandoned our friendship like that. But now, all that was left is this hollowness in my heart, as if something was missing.

I'd feel it whenever I was laughing with my friends, reminding me of the time Draco said something so incredibly stupid that I burst out laughing until I couldn't breathe. I'd feel it during nights I lay awake in bed, thinking about how alive I felt in the Astronomy Tower with him, and most of all wondering. . .what happened?

Despite everything I could do — every essay I completed, every conversation I had — nothing would make me forget about him completely. Somewhere in the back of my mind, there's questions upon questions I asked myself: Was I not a good enough friend? Did I do something wrong? Did I say something bad?

Overthinking was always the worst.

I noticed that he's never in class anymore, leaving me to wonder whatever will happen to his grades. He was never in the Great Hall for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, nor around the halls. Once again, it was like he completely disappeared off the map.

Maybe it was a good thing. That way, his presence wouldn't be looming over my conscience like a shadow.

The worst part is, I couldn't find it in me to hate him again.

I stopped in my tracks, mentally cursing myself, because here I am making an internal monologue about him again. Adjusting my bag on my shoulder, I continued on my way back to my common room, content with what Professor McGonagall had told me about my essay since I decided to submit it early.

Just as I was about to round the corner where the corridor opened up to the moving staircases, a blood-curdling scream echoed around the corridor.

"MURDER! MURDER IN THE BATHROOM! MURDER!"

Jumping about a foot from the ground, my heart felt as though it was about to explode due to the sudden scare. I whipped my head, hearing the screaming come from the boy's bathroom that was just a few doors down the corridor. Without hesitation, I ran inside, seeing as there was no one else around to help, the thought that the murderer still might be there not crossing my mind.