iii. Dumbledore's Will

"SORRY to intrude," Scrimgeour said, addressing everyone at the table, "especially as I can see that I am gatecrashing a party. Many happy returns."

"Thanks," Harry said flatly.

"I require a word with you. Also with Mr. Ronald Weasley, Miss Hermione Granger, and Miss Margo Lovett."

"Us?" Ron blurted surprised, Hermione and I mirroring the same look he had. "Why us?"

"I shall tell you that when we are somewhere more private," Scrimgeour replied. "Is there such a place?" he asked Mr. Weasley.

"Yes, of course. The, er, sitting room, why don't you use that?"

"You can lead the way," the Minister told Ron. "There will be no need for you to accompany us, Arthur."

My eyes flitted to my parents who stood beside Mrs. Weasley, both of them looking puzzled and worried. I shrugged at them and followed the trio into the house. Not one of us spoke until we were all seated on the sofa, sitting side-by-side in front of Scrimgeour.

"I have some questions for the four of you, and I think it will be best if we do it individually. If you three can wait upstairs, I will start with Ronald," he said.

"We're not going anywhere," Harry said quickly. Hermione and I nodded. "You can speak to us together, or not at all."

Scrimgeour shot Harry a menacing look, but within the blink of an eye it was gone. "Very well, then, together. I am here, as I'm sure you know, because of Albus Dumbledore's will."

The four of us looked at each other, my eyebrows shooting up to my hairline at the unexpected announcement. Since the Minister's arrival, I didn't dare guess why he would possible want to talk to us, but out of all things, I didn't expect this. I didn't even know Dumbledore well enough for him to leave me something from his will.

"A surprise, apparently!" Scrimgeour said. "You were not aware, then, that Dumbledore had left you anything?"

"A—all of us?" Ron said. "Me and Hermione and Margo too?"

"Yes, all of—"

"Dumbledore died over a month ago. Why has it taken this long to give us what he left us?" Harry interrupted.

I almost flinched at the words. A month ago. It had been exactly a month since that night in the Astronomy Tower. . .that night with Draco.

Blinking rapidly, I shook my head subtlety.

"Isn't it obvious?" Hermione said. "They wanted to examine whatever he's left us. You had no right to do that!"

Scrimgeour almost looked bored. "I had every right. The Decree for Justifiable Confiscation gives the Ministry the power to confiscate the contents of a will—"

"Which isn't really the right way, Minster," I said a little coldly.

Hermione nodded furiously. "The law was created to stop wizards passing on Dark artefacts and the Ministry is supposed to have powerful evidence that deceased's possessions are illegal before seizing them! Are you telling me you thought Dumbledore was trying to pass us something cursed?"