i. Operation: Rescue Harry 101, The Sequel

~

~

SOMETIMES, life doesn't turn out the way you planned it.

Take me for example: if you asked me the question 'Where do you see yourself in six years' time', I would've said I'd be in my final and seventh-year of Hogwarts, hopefully acing my classes and having fun with friends.

Never in a million years did I expect to skip my seventh-year entirely, and instead found myself in front of Number Four Privet Drive, ridden with nerves and the conversation I had earlier with my parents echoing in my head.

"I always wondered," I had asked my mum quietly, "if Voldemort wanted our powers from the beginning, why didn't he. . .you know — why didn't he find you, or nana first?"

It was during another quiet dinner — mum and dad had a little argument before that, and I was upstairs trying to block them out. All I knew it was about letting me go on that rescue mission for Harry; dad agreed right away, albeit a bit worried. It was mum who took a few convincing, which she finally gave in at the end. This time, I was glad my dad didn't come.

She had set her fork down, took one glance at my dad then back to me.

"Voldemort always knew that there was a family who possessed kinisis, he just never knew who they were," she explained patiently. "Nana said that Genevieve urged her daughters to keep their powers hidden. For years Voldemort hunted anyone who he thought had kinisis, and killed them when he realized they didn't — just for the hell of it. It was becoming too dangerous to live in England as a wizard, especially since she had powers he was hunting for, so your great-great-grandmother, Cordelia, migrated to Western India, in the city Gujarat. Wizards did the same, but chose places like Europe or the Americas. Cordelia figured that India was a country Voldemort wouldn't bother looking into. At least there she managed to meet someone and make a family while keeping them safe."

"Until nana came here," I said with understanding, "and Eris found me out. . ."

Both of them didn't say anything after that. Just shot me sympathetic smiles and squeezed my hand for comfort.

The loud sound of a door opening broke me away from my thoughts. Emerging from the threshold was a wide-eyed Harry Potter.

Hermione gave a cry and rushed forwards to hug him whilst Ron settled for a clap on the back. I gathered my thoughts, storing them in the back of my head, and rushed towards them to give Harry a hug of his own.

No more idling; we have a mission to finish tonight.

"It's so good to see you again," I said with relief, feeling the same content I felt when I saw everyone else after being locked in a safe house the Order put up for the entire summer, unable for anyone to floo and Apparate in or out.

My parents thought it was best for us to leave our current house due to my. . .situation. And they were right, for not even three days after we left, Remus told us it had already been ransacked by a couple of Death Eaters.