xvi. Dragon

~

~

JUST like before, we turned the corner and emerged into the atrium; shaking the Clankers immediately whilst keeping an eye on the restless dragon who let out a roar and retreated away from the noise.

It was a strategy that worked, albeit rather barbarically; the thought only crossing in my mind when we halted in front of what was finally Bellatrix's vault as I stared at the trembling dragon.

The Clankers made a sound like a thousand hammers hitting an anvil without sync which definitely made the sound worse, making it seem like it was being amplified even more. It already made a strain on my human ears, what more on an animal with enhanced hearing?

The vault opened with a deep-sounding groan, revealing a chamber filled with towering stacks of gold, gold, and gold. I now certainly understood why Bellatrix lost her mind when she found out someone might've broken into her vault, knowing if there was a Horcrux or no. Everything as far as my eye could see, would probably make me rich enough to build my own castle.

"Search, fast!" Harry said before we entered, darkness immediately engulfing us as the door slid shut.

Ron and I yelped.

"No matter, Bogrod will be able to release us," Griphook said. "Light your wands, can't you? And hurry, we have very little time!"

I lit Draco's — or I suppose, my wand — as I took a full sweep of the area, keeping my eye peeled for the Horcrux. Before we left, the trio and I had already discussed which were still intact and what might possibly be hidden in Bellatrix's vault.

And from what we've gathered, there were three left: Hufflepuff's cup — which left me seeing red when Harry told me that it had been used, Ravenclaw's diadem and his snake, Nagini.

Seeing as how You-Know-Who wouldn't keep a live snake all alone in a dark vault, the other two options were what we went for. Lucky for us if two of them were here right now.

Harry had described Hufflpuff's cup to us already. While the three of them would be the one to look for it, I was tasked with finding the diadem, seeing as it was something I have already seen before Harry had — even if it was just a short glimpse in my dreams.

Not as promising but it was than nothing, I suppose.

"Harry, could this be—? Argh!" Hermione screamed in pain, the three of us turning to her in alarm as a jeweled goblet fell from her hand and multiplied before my very eyes. It continued to duplicate even as it lay still on the ground, creating a loud ringing noise that was maybe worse than the Clankers.

"They have added Gemini and Flagrante Curses!" Griphook said. "Everything you touch will burn and multiply, but the copies are worthless — and if you continue to handle the treasure, you will eventually be crushed to death by the weight of expanding gold!"