xiv. Flowers and Pendants

.

DIAGON Alley has always been a favorite place of mine.

The first time I visited, I was far too young to remember. The second was when I was a fresh little first-year, looking for supplies.

It wasn't really a jaw-dropping place that you'd want to visit it again. Maybe the only reason why I loved it so much was because every time I'd come here, I'm always hit by so many nostalgic memories.

The little town looked especially lovely during the holiday season. It reminded me of those snowy villages you'd find inside those glass orbs — I think Muggles called them snow globes.

It was Christmas Eve and the town was busy.

Despite the snow littering every inch of surface available, the place was packed with various families buzzing in and out of shops, probably to do some last minute gift-shopping.

The weather was nice enough that you could last a few hours outside in the blue sky, the glowing lanterns and fairy lights that twinkled on the roofs providing enough warmth. I was sure that if you looked at the town from above, it would resemble a white blanket with little glowing stars stitched on it.

But it was still cold. People were wrapped in bundles of scarves and robes to keep themselves warm enough from getting colds and possibly hypothermia. When I exhaled through my mouth, smoke would emerge, reminding me of a fire-breathing dragon.

I came here to do some last minute shopping, as well; deep down, I knew that was only the partial truth.

The incident that happened some nights ago with the vase toppling over disturbed me more than I cared to admit.

I tried to come up with any possible and logical reason as to why it happened, but the more I thought about it, the more it didn't make sense. Though it wasn't as absurd as me thinking that I actually caused it.

I told myself it wasn't physically possible; I didn't have my wand with me and wandless magic was out of the question.

My parents pulled me aside to talk the day after it happened. I still remember how worried they looked, hovering over me like I was a toddler.

"How are you feeling?" My father asked me. I didn't trust my voice so I only shrugged.

"Remember what we said, Margo," mum told me, "everything that we do, we do for your protection."

Then the two of them pulled me in for a hug, as if they weren't just warning me about my own protection.

I knew they tried to hide the fact that they were scared. but I could see right through them.