xxi. When Plans Go Wrong

AFTER days of hard work and staying up past midnight, it was finally the end of our OWL's.

Me, along with the rest of the fifth-years entered the Great Hall for our History of Magic exam at two o'clock. I placed myself in front of my overturned exam paper, fiddling with my thumbs as I willed my heart rate to calm down.

"Turn over your papers," the examiner's voice boomed, which didn't help the state of my heart. "You may begin."

I didn't waste any time, when the grains of sand in the hourglass filled the bottom, my time was finished. Drowning out the scratching of quill against parchment all around me, I focused on one question after the other and told myself to move onto the next when I couldn't figure out the answer quick enough.

Halfway through the paper, I felt my eyelids grow heavy the longer I stared at question number seventeen. I bit my lip, cursing myself for sleeping in late again. I gently rubbed my eyes, scribbling down the answer carefully.

I didn't seem to realize how much time had already passed. When I glanced at the big hourglass at the front of the room, the top half was about a quarter full. Luckily, I only had a page left.

Just as I reached the last three questions, I heard a yell and a body fall to the ground with a thud, sequenced gasps followed right after.

I jumped, turning around in my seat and my blood ran cold. Harry was lying on the ground whilst clutching his scar, his face contorted with pain and glistening with sweat.

The examiner closest to the area let out a yelp and hurried over to him, slowly helping Harry sit upright.

I chewed on my lip, my knuckles turning white from gripping the seat as I restrained myself from rushing over to him.

"I'm not going. . .I don't need the hospital wing. . .I don't want. . ." Harry's words were slurred and low. The examiner lead him out of the Great Hall, closing the door behind them and cutting the rest of the fifth-years off from the scene.

I took a shaky breath, scribbling down the last three answers and waited until the hourglass was finally half empty.

C'mon, I thought to myself.

"Drop your quills!" the examiner announced. "The examination is over. Please leave your papers on the desk and exit the hall in an orderly fashion."

Normally I wouldn't listened, but after seeing Harry in that state I couldn't wait.

I snaked my way past students still milling around, catching a glimpse of Ron and Hermione exiting the Great Hall.

"Margo!"

I turned, seeing Ruby and Ernie push their way to get to me.

"Listen," I said before Ruby could say anything else, "I have to go find Harry to make sure he's alright."

"We know, don't worry," Ernie assured.

"That's why were here, actually," Ruby said. "Give me your satchel, I'll put it in your dorm so you don't have to carry it with you."

I stared at the two of them, a little bit dumbfounded and then tackled them in a hug.

"Thanks," I breathed.