xvii. Detention

JUST when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they go to absolute shit.

Dumbledore was gone. As in, he completely vanished along with Fawkes when a bunch of Ministry officials, the Minister himself, and Umbridge bombarded him regarding Dumbledore's Army.

Harry said Dumbledore had taken the blame but the actual person who decided to tattle was Marietta Edgecombe, who now sported a nasty pimple-fest that spelled the word sneak.

When I saw her face the next day I mentally listed another reason why I shouldn't anger Hermione.

After that whole fiasco, Umbridge immediately took action and appointed herself as the Headmistress.

Everywhere I turned it was all people could talk about. Some even striking up a conversation with Harry and asking him what really happened, which was what Ruby and Ernie were doing now. Despite me telling them to give the boy some space.

"Dumbledore will be back before long," Ernie said confidently, walking beside Harry as the rest of us trailed after them. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time."

"Also," Ruby added in, lowering her voice into a whisper, "The Frat Friar told us that Umbridge tried to get into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her."

I snorted. "Apparently, she had a right little tantrum."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Heads office," Hermione snarled. "Lording it over all the other teachers, that stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old—"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?"

We halted just outside the Entrance Hall, especially me seeing as I recognized the patronizing voice instantly.

Just as I thought, Draco was back to being his normal self the day after I encountered him in the Astronomy Tower.

In fact ever since Umbridge became Headmistress he seemed more proud and insufferable than he'd ever been before.

We turned around to face him, glancing at one another with series of eye rolls and scowls. He was flanked on either side by his meaty sidekicks, looking ready to punch anything that got in their way.

"Afraid I'm going to have to dock a few points from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff," said Draco, his face glowing with malice.

"What?" I exclaimed, taking an angry step forward. "What did we even do?"

His gaze flickered on my figure for a split second before looking away.

"It's only teachers who can dock points from houses, Malfoy," Ernie retorted.

"Yeah, we're prefects too, remember?" Ron growled.

"I know prefects can't dock points, Weasel King," sneered Draco. "But members of the Inquisitorial Squad—"

"The what!" Hermione asked angrily.

"The Inquisitorial Squad, Granger." He pointed you a tiny silver I pinned on his robes. "A select group of students who are supportive of the Ministry of Magic, hand-picked by Professor Umbridge."

"You mean a select group of thick-headed gits who are supportive of idiotic self-righteousness," I spat, crossing my arms and glaring at him and his posse.

He chuckled and chided me with a shake of his head. "Another word from that mouth, Lovett, and you'll soon find yourself in detention," he warned.