xix. Confrontations

A lot of changes can happen in a few days time. For example:

After that horrible match of Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff, McLaggen decided to be a total idiot and swing a bludger right at Harry's skull, thus rendering him unconscious.

Our Apparition lessons came again, but they were to be taken in Hogsmeade this time rather than in school. Since I'm not seventeen yet, I spent an extremely awkward Potions lesson with only Ernie, Harry, and Draco present in the class. And when the school day was over, Ruby had almost knocked us over excitedly due to her passing her Apparition test perfectly.

Not only that, but Hagrid's giant pet spider called Aragog died, and the trio and I have been invited to his funeral — which we didn't go to except for Harry, who was currently drunk on Liquid Luck in hopes to get the memory from Slughorn once and for all.

Like I said, a lot can happen in a few days time, except for one little thing: Draco still wouldn't talk to me.

It was always the same everyday no matter what; no eye-contact, no looking my way, and always walking the opposite direction whenever we encountered each other in the corridors.

Honestly, it's all one tiring act. It was getting to the point where some people would notice it too, and often times ask me if the two of us got into another fight like last time again.

Draco really had a way of keeping things dramatic.

My patience had already snapped ages ago. I told Hermione, Ginny, Ruby, and Ernie about it, and they all said the same thing: confront him about it.

And so I did — well, tried more like. It was like the moment I chose to seek him, he's suddenly out of the radar and nowhere to be found. But that didn't mean I was going to give up that easily. The least I can have is an explanation.

A clock chimed in its place on the mantle of the fireplace, signaling that it was already twelve o'clock in the morning. I was the only one in the common room now, trying to squeeze in a few more lines on my Herbology essay as I listened to the soft crackles of the fire.

Suddenly, the common room portrait swung open, revealing Professor Sprout who stumbled into the threshold, and jumped slightly as soon as she saw me.

"Oh!" she exclaimed in surprise. "Good, I don't have to wake you."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I placed my quill down. "Erm, what do you mean, professor?"

"Professor Dumbledore is requesting you in his office right now," she said. "He said it is quite urgent."

I glanced at the clock with a frown. "Right now? Has something happened? Are my parents okay—?"

"I'm sure they're okay, don't worry, dear," she smiled slightly. "He would have told me otherwise. Now come, follow me."

Refraining from asking anymore questions, I set my stuff aside and grabbed my jumper before following Professor Sprout to Dumbledore's office. After climbing a few floors up, we reached the end of a corridor where a stone gargoyle was sitting on guard. Professor Sprout uttered a password (Gum drops) and the gargoyle swung open to reveal a spiral staircase.

She gestured with a hand. "Go on, dear."

Smiling at her in thanks, I pulled the sleeves of my sweater lower in hopes to cover my cold hands, then ascended up the staircase only to be faced by a big mahogany door.

As if Dumbledore already knew I arrived, the door swung open just as I raised my fist to knock, revealing the headmaster himself, and to my surprise, Harry.