xii. A Fight, a Book, and a Dream

THE air was cold that morning even thought it wasn't windy at all. It nipped at my nose and cheeks, and seeped into the knitted material of my scarf and bonnet.

Snow littered the grass in the Quidditch Pitch, making the green appear paler than its usual lush emerald.

I was cheering along with Ruby and Ernie in the Hufflepuff stands, surrounded by the rest of my housemates who provided a good amount of warmth since we were all huddled in the stands together.

It's been about fifteen minutes into the game and so far, I already saw a lot of jabs, dodges, and fouls take place. After all, Slytherin always played dirty.

Despite the worry gnawing at my gut for the safety of Harry, Ron, and the twins, I couldn't help but giggle at the comments Lee Jordan was making and how McGonagall kept scolding him.

"Do you hear that?" I heard Ruby say loudly, making my head swivel to look at her.

"Hear what?" Ernie called back.

"It sounds like there's some chanting the Slytherins are doing."

I furrowed my eyebrows and squinted at the Slytherin stands, listening for the chanting that Ruby was talking about. It was quite hard to do since all I could hear within a meter away from me was loud, enthusiastic cheering.

"Those bastards," Ernie said outrageously.

"What?" I whipped my head at him. "What are they saying?"

"I don't think you want to know," he replied darkly.

His response only made my frown deepen further. Staring at the Slytherin stands again, I let my gloved hands grip the railings of the stand and leaned further, as if the action would help my hearing a little better. That is, if I didn't fall down to my death.

Lucky for me, I heard it and I didn't fall.

"Weasley cannot save a thing. He cannot block a single ring. That's why Slytherins all sing: Weasley is our king."

Ruby was quick to comment on it as well, turning to Ernie and I with a nasty look on her face.

"When I get my hands on who ever came up with that rubbish, Merlin I swear—"

"GRYFFINDOR SCORES!"

I focused all my attention back to the game, ignoring the Slytherin's taunts and let the adrenaline rush through me as I watched closely.

There was no way I was going to let the Slytherins ruin this for me.

It felt as if I was the one who was sitting on the broom, zooming after the Quaffle and dodging every opponent. I didn't know it could be possible for my heart to beat vigorously in anticipation and excitement. And I wasn't even playing!

From one end of the pitch, Harry immediately dived down, Draco soon following in tow.

"Harry saw the snitch!" I cheered, jumping in place, "If he catches this, Gryffindor will surely win."

It all happened so quickly. One minute Harry was stretching his hand out to catch the golden ball, the next he was lying flat on the cold grass. All around the stadium, people gasped and some even let out squeaks of surprise.

I cursed loudly, clutching Ernie's and Ruby's arms as they too looked his body on the ground with wide eyes.

It was a rather unexpected celebration for their first win, but I didn't really question
it.

I didn't know what was happening until I saw it. The two teams were grouped together in one area of the pitch, seeming to be screaming at each other's neck.