iv. Wedding Crashers

~

~

WHEN Bill and Fleur announced that their wedding would take place during the summer, I was ecstatic. But now that it was only mere minutes away, I couldn't bring myself to go down and mingle with the guests just yet.

I was already dressed in one of my mum's fine dresses: a flowy slip-on silver satin that reached my calves with strappy shoes to match. My hair had been left alone and I wore no jewelry save for the pearl pendant that never left my neck.

Despite that, I stayed rooted in my spot where the window in Ginny's room overlooked the orchard where white marquee stood — also where wedding would take place.

It was already three-thirty. No doubt my mum, Hermione, or Ginny would be looking for me right now, so I waited, biding my time as I thought about what happened yesterday.

It didn't occur to me earlier on that I would be needing a Pensieve to actually watch the contents of the memory, and the only person I knew who owned one was Dumbledore himself which proved to be a big problem since his Pensieve was all the way in Hogwarts.

The more I thought about it, the more I started to doubt whether I'll ever find out what's inside.

Why did Dumbledore wait till the very last minute to give me this? And why has he never mentioned it before — about him and Genevieve knowing each other?

I sighed heavily, watching as the guests slowly started to queue in line at the entrance.

"Margo?" A muffled voice called from behind the door. A gentle knock, then a lock clicking open.

"Hey." It was mum. "The wedding's about to start and you haven't taken the potion yet. We've been looking for you, dear."

"Sorry," I said, finally pulling myself away from my thoughts to glance at the cup full of Polyjuice potion that sat on the desk, then at her. "Just. . .thinking about stuff."

Mum jerked her chin. "Yeah, you play with that necklace every time you do."

I blinked at her once, then glanced down at my neck and indeed saw that I was clutching the little pearl with my fingers. My mother — ever the observant.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked up. "Do I do that all the time?"

"No," she chuckled and walked over to smooth out my hair. "It's only been recent, actually. Did you get that as a gift?"

"Yeah."

"So who's the guy?" she asked cheekily.

My eyes widened. "Mum!"

"What? I'm right, aren't I?" she laughed, throwing her head back.

My cheeks flamed because she is right. I have never talked to my mum about boys, not even once. The only boys she knew were Harry, Ernie, and the Weasley boys but that was it. No one else and no one new. I can't even imagine how she'll react if I told her about someone else, much less if that person was a Malfoy.