Chapter 17: Throwing a Wrench in the Works

It was lunchtime at Hogwarts. The teachers and a handful of students sat together at one table eating when the post owls swooped in delivering letters, packages and newspapers. Dumbledore took the paper and skimmed the front page for anything interesting to stop at the first article. It told about the innocence of Sirius Black.

"Say, Minerva, do you know where Harry is?" Dumbledore inquired after reading the article.

McGonagall looked at him a bit confused. "Mr Laufeyson invited him to visit his guardian, one Mr Winchester. They left on Christmas as you very well know since I told you about it" she answered.

Dumbledore hummed in agreement. This wasn't good at all. Should Potter get to know that he had a godfather, he would insist on staying with him and not his relatives, as he wanted him to. Though it was mandatory for his plans to keep him safe, he stayed with them over the summer holidays. He would have to talk to Black as quickly as possible.

Had he known that his plans were already laying in ruins...

Sam, Dean and Harry were sitting at the table in the main room

Sam, Dean and Harry were sitting at the table in the main room. The investigation team just left, and Harry was glad that he had his peace again.

"Sam, how many times did I tell you that Ruby was a bad influence for you?" Dean suddenly said. Ever since they both saw the memory, he was even more pissed about the demon.

Sam sighed. "Dean, I know. Do you really think that I don't blame myself for what happened? I was the one to invite her here after all," he went with his hand through his hair. "Harry, I'm so...so sorry."

"It's okay Sammy, I'm just glad that she didn't get to do anything serious," Harry smiled at Sam leaning against him.

Sam instantly draped his arm around him protectively. Harry had to admit that he liked it. When he had started school, he had hoped that he would gain some friends now that Dudley couldn't intervene. But it seemed that he got so much more, something akin of a family even if not in blood and that cared.

"Dean, I have a question for you, though. Your aura...why does it have so much black in it? It is like it is consuming the entire rest,- and it nearly succeeded."

Dean now looked worried at Sam. He knew very well what might cause the effect Harry just described, his deal. Sam and Dean seemed to have some kind of silent conversation in which Dean shook his head slightly, but Sam only gave him an intense glare.

"Harry...I don't know how to explain it," Sam started but was interrupted by Harry himself.

"He made a deal, didn't he?" he asked, looking up at him. Sam looked at him in surprise. "It is the only thing that makes sense. He is definitely not a demon who has a pitch-black aura but with sulphuric yellow streaks in it and what else could cause it?"

"Yes, it is true. Dean made a deal to save my life," Sam sighed, looking depressed. "Otherwise...otherwise I wouldn't be here."

"When is it due?" Harry asked, knowing that it was a very personal question, not caring that Dean made a deal to save Sam.