Chapter 30: Was This A Mistake?

Dean sighed deeply and with a flick of his hand, conjured a simple chair before he slumped down on it. He leaned forward, placed his elbows on his knees and raked his left hand through his hair.

"It all will begin tomorrow," he began. "From what I know, a yellow-eyed demon named Azazel will possess your father and kill both your parents and John to get you to make a deal to save him, which you will."

Mary drew in a sharp breath upon hearing that. The demon would not only kill her family but also the man she loved? There had to be a way to prevent that.

"However, it won't be the standard deal where you'd get ten years; it'll be a special one instead. In exchange for saving John, Azazel wants access to the nursery of your home sometime ten years from when you make the deal. The next few years everything will be silent then but when Sam, my brother, is not even one-year-old Azazel will show up again.

"He will show up in Sammy's nursery one night. You will wake up and see him standing at his crib, but you think that it is John because of the darkness. When you realise your mistake, you'll hurry back. But Azazel...he'll kill you strangely and especially for disturbing him."

"What did he want in the nursery?" Mary interrupted him not even surprised that the demon would kill her. If he killed her family to get access to her in the first place, she didn't doubt that the demon would kill her if she got in his way.

Dean looked up and at the woman that would be his mother. "He wanted to taint Sam with his blood. I don't know how he can possibly know it already, but Sam is a natural wizard or better yet will be. It could also be that he doesn't know yet but chooses him for some other reason."

"Wait, Sam's a wizard?" she asked, surprised.

"Yes," Dean replied carefully. "Why?"

"Don't you know? My mother's actually a squib outcast from the British magical community," she explained. "She came to America when she was twenty."

"Huh, that's news to me," Dean said.

Slumping against the backrest of his chair, he stared at some point behind his mother, lost in thought. After some time, he shook his head and focused on Mary again.

"Anyway, that same evening, Azazel killed you and became John's obsession. Trying to find and kill the demon, he became a hunter himself. We didn't stay long in one place and moved from motel to motel. He hunted anything and everything that crossed his path.

"Neither Sam nor I had a real childhood. I learned how to hunt when I was a teenager though I tried to shield Sam from most of it. However, Sam wanted some semblance of normal life and went to Stanford when he was twenty-one. He stayed there for a year, even getting a girlfriend, Jessica," Dean told her.

"Then, a year later, John suddenly vanished. I didn't know what to do and went to Sammy to ask him for help. He reluctantly came with me to investigate the last case John was on, a woman in white.

"But we didn't find him. We finished the unfinished hunt, and I drove Sam back to Stanford because he had an interview the next day for a law school. That was when everything quickly went to hell."

Dean took a deep breath. "I was just about to drive off again when I saw fire coming from Sam's bedroom. In an instant, I ran to their flat only to see that Jessica had been killed in the same way as you. That was what pushed Sam to become a hunter again and pushed him to find Azazel who was behind the murder of his girlfriend, even if not directly. Soon after Sam's magical abilities showed up for the first time."

"He never showed any signs during his childhood?" Mary asked, surprised. "No accidental magical outbursts?"

"No, but as we learned recently, that the demon blood probably suppressed it," Dean said, shaking his head. "We even found others that showed similar abilities than Sam. Telekinesis, premonitions, even one who could convince you of anything by only telling you to do it."