Chapter 31: Surprise, Surprise

The woman pushed herself off the door frame, walked over to Alastair and came to a stop in front of her. She looked the demon straight into the eye for a moment having to look up slightly since Alastair was a bit taller than her even if it was not by much.

"Should you ever hurt my son...believe me hell will look like a summer spa in comparison to what I'll do to you," she told the demon in a no-nonsense voice.

"You should be glad that I value Dean too much or I'd gladly test that theory," Alastair replied with a smirk. Leaning in towards the woman who apparently was Mary Winchester.

"Don't make threats you cannot follow through with."

"Are you so sure about that?" Mary also smirked.

"Mary?" Dean suddenly asked, interrupting the conversation and openly gaping at her.

Sam and the others, just stared at her in confusion. Bobby, the only exception, looked at her equally shocked and surprised as Dean, and Loki who couldn't keep his snicker in.

"Mary?" Bobby asked carefully. "How is this even possible?"

Mary though didn't react at first, still in a staring contest with Alastair which neither of them wanted to break first.

"I like her," Alastair suddenly exclaimed with a broad grin and a chuckle before walking back over to Dean and gracefully sitting down on the man's lap.

Dean at first didn't react, too shocked and confused about what was happening even though it was Sam who finally asked the question that was on everyone's mind.

"Can someone please tell me what is going on here?" he asked no one in particular. "Is...is she...?"

Mary snickered and sat down on the chair Loki had helpfully conjured for her. Dean, in the meantime, finally broke out of his stupor.

"I don't know how she did it, but yes Sam...this is Mary Winchester, she's our mother," he introduced the woman who now smirked mischievously.

Sam looked from his brother to the woman, who was evidently his mother, and back to Dean, not knowing what to think anymore. In the end, he sighed and rubbed with his hand over his face. None of them though saw the glint in Loki's eyes.

"Perhaps it is the best you start at the beginning and tell us what happened," he said, having a feeling that this would be a long day.

Dean nodded slowly. "Well, when that stupid angel brought me to the past, and I found out exactly in what time I had ended up in, I wanted to sit out whatever the purpose of all this was without interfering at first.

"That was when I stumbled over John and what can I say...my curiosity got the better of me. I followed him to a car seller and hell. That idiot nearly bought a VW Bulli instead of the Impala," he told them and took a swig of the beer Bobby had served to the adults and a coke for Harry and Loki.

Sam, when hearing that they nearly never would have had their beloved Impala, looked slightly ill. "Please tell me you changed that," he almost begged.

Dean looked at his brother with a deadpanned expression. "What do you think...of course, I prevented him from making that mistake," he retorted. "Anyway, after that I followed him around, well...until Mary here caught me snooping on them. Turns out she comes from a family of hunters."

"And you're still alive?" Sam asked, surprised.

"It is refreshing to see just how much you care for your brother's life," Dean huffed.

"You know what I meant, idiot."

"Bitch!"

"Jerk!"