Chapter 29: The Past, the Present and the Future

Dean woke up with a splitting headache on what was apparently a bench on the street. An officer was bent over him his baton in hand.

"Come on, get up!" the man commanded, but Dean only managed to look at him confusedly. "You can't sleep here!"

Now Dean looked even more confused. After a quick glance around, he saw that he had no idea where here was anyway. The last thing he remembered was that Alastair had left after a very lovely night – which instantly caused a broad grin to appear on his face.

She wanted to fetch some breakfast and that thrice-damned angel Castiel had shown up to tell him that he had to stop it, whatever it was. When the angel had tapped him on the forehead, everything had gone black.

The next thing Dean knew was that he was waking up on the park bench feeling as if he had the worst hangover ever. Chuckling to himself, he was thankful that he didn't wake up in a twenty-thousand dollar a night hotel room with a tiger in the bathroom.

"Sorry officer, but it seems that I got a bit lost...where is here?" he asked, rubbing at his temples in hope to lessen his headache.

The officer raised an eyebrow at him. "Must have been one hell of a night if you can't remember where you are. We're in Lawrence, Kansas," he finally replied.

"You have no idea," Dean said with a smirk.

The officer smiled but shook his head. "You can't sleep here, though."

Dean waved at him dismissively. "Yeah, yeah, I'll get back to my motel," he told the man while standing up and stretching lazily. "But first I need a coffee, is there a diner somewhere?"

It didn't seem that the man was overly confident in Dean's ability to move independently, but he dutifully pointed up the street.

"Three blocks in that direction," he explained before he left. "Have a nice day."

Dean watched the officer continue onwards on his patrol before turning in the direction the officer had pointed him towards. Soon enough, Dean found said diner.

After sitting down, he ordered a large coffee and some pancakes. He was famished, which was no wonder since he had been dumped here without having been able to enjoy a breakfast with Alastair.

This thought made him wonder what Alastair would think about the fact that he had suddenly disappeared. Not to mention that today was the day when Sam was supposed to return from Hogwarts.

They would probably worry themselves sick over it. So it undoubtedly would be for the best to return as quickly as possible, but first...breakfast. Teleporting over long distances with a massive headache and an empty stomach was never a good idea. Hopefully, his headache would be gone after he ate breakfast.

That was when he saw a newspaper lying on the counter obviously abandoned by the previous owner. Dean leaned over and pulled it towards him to see whether anything unusual had been reported.

He was surprised that the headline said something about Nixon accepting someone's resignation, so his gaze fell upon the date. He inhaled sharply when he saw it; he wasn't in his time anymore, no, it was now April 30, 1973.

A low growl tore itself from his throat. What did the stupid angel do this time? The fact that he wasn't in his own time anymore would make getting back a bit of a chore. Sighing deeply he turned towards the coffee and the pancakes the waiter just placed in front of him, he would eat his breakfast first and then think about how to get back to his time.

Dean was so lost in his breakfast that it caught him completely by surprise when an older man entered the diner and called out, "Winchester!". He looked up from his breakfast to look at the man, wondering who he was. Dean saw him walk to a young man around his age sitting right next to him and whom he hadn't registered as being there until now.