Chapter 20: Payback is a Bitch

The next few days went by without much happening. Sam eagerly absorbed every piece of information he could get his hands on. Wanting to learn as much as possible for as long as he would be staying at Hogwarts. He also found a kindred spirit in Hermione. They were often seen together in the library reading and studying magic.

Neville spent most of the time in the greenhouses tending to the plants that Sprout allowed him to grow there. Harry occasionally helped him, and Loki gave him a few tips on what the plants need. However, he wasn't a specialist and therefore, he was limited in what he knew.

The twins, though, had the staff especially worried because they had become very quiet suddenly and had everyone wondering what they were up to. They vanished right after the lessons finished and only reappeared shortly before curfew in the common room. Even Loki had no idea what the two were planning. He noticed that Hermione also vanished from time to time when she wasn't learning or discussing something with Sam.

What made Loki smirk while Harry and Sam smiled like the cat that caught the canary was the Muggle newspaper delivered to Loki on Thursday. It was the Little Whinging Post, and the article on the front-page was delightful.

The article reported the misfortune of a highly esteemed family from Privet Drive that was haunted by strange accidents. So was it that the male adult of the family who worked as the Director of Grunnings had a deadly accident when inspecting the newest drills his company was producing. During the said inspection, the drill bit broke and shot right through his head, killing him instantly.

What was even more mysterious was the death of Petunia Dursley not even half a day later. After receiving the message of her husband's unfortunate passing, she seemed to have a mental breakdown. Neighbours reported that she was seen running through the street shouting that THEY are coming and asking for help to keep the FREAKS away though no one else was seen in the road at that time. About five minutes later and shortly before the police arrived, her heart gave out, and she died.

At least their son was well off despite that tragedy because the same day the family had won 2 million £ in the lottery. The boy was to be placed with his aunt.

It was about a week after the holidays and Sam arrived at Hogwarts that things got darker. It was Tuesday during breakfast when a large black dog trotted into the great hall and went straight over to where Harry, Sam, and Loki where sitting.

The teachers who weren't in the know looked at it curiously wondering whose dog it was.

However, the three friends knew precisely who it was, Sirius, or in this form Padfoot; and that could only mean one thing, Dean Winchester was dead. Padfoot walked over to Sam, let out a low whine with a drooping head and a sad expression. Sam went entirely still his face one of pain and grief, a lone tear rolling down his cheek.

Harry seeing that, stood up and walked over to Sam, but not before ruffling his godfather's fur with a pained smile, he then turned to Sam.

"Come on, let's get out of here," he said with a low voice laying a hand on the other boy's shoulder in a show of comfort.

Sam nodded slowly before he stood up and went with Harry, who draped an arm around him. They both left the great hall and went to the Gryffindor common room and their dorms to be alone, not even thinking about going to lessons.

Loki watched them leaving and knew that it was highly doubtful that the two would attend any classes that day. So he also stood up and walked to the head table and Professor McGonagall to explain her the situation.

McGonagall nodded gravely agreeing that it would be the best for the two children to take the day off. Harry less because he was the one who lost his brother but because it was better for Sam. To have someone to stay with him and comfort him, which seemed to be Harry. She would certainly look in on the two after lunch, and before the afternoon classes would start, to ensure that they were alright.