Chapter 42: A Plan in the Making

"Loki Laufeyson!" Amelia Bones exclaimed while walking up to the trickster at a brisk pace. "I thought I made myself clear when I said that I wouldn't stand for you endangering the magical community of England."

"Excuse me, please?! Is it now my fault that this bastard Zachariah is after Harry? I told you all I know about the entire thing, so don't blame me when this son of a bitch decides to show up in the middle of the day only to try and get Harry possessed by a demon!" Loki raged. He was far too worried about Harry at the moment to properly appease the woman.

The others, especially the younger ones, seemed calmer though even if fearful in Bone's eyes. She wondered what happened here.

Hermione, in the meantime, stared at the pagan in shock and surprise over how he talked to the woman. By now, she was used to Loki seeing rules and laws more like the advice he then promptly ignored but talking to someone like that was usually not his thing. So, she narrowed her eyes in determination, stepped in front of Loki and dragged him with her away from the others. They were closely followed by the twins and Neville, who warily glanced at Bones. Sam watched them before he turned towards her once they vanished around a corner into a side alley.

"Ms Bones, was that correct?"

Amelia Bones could only nod in her surprise over what just happened. She couldn't believe that Loki was that enraged or possibly worried that he would snap at her like that. But, if she wasn't wholly mistaken, she also saw something akin to fear in his eyes. So something had happened, and that in turn made her worried, primarily if it was something that sparked fear in Loki.

"Sorry for Loki's behaviour, but he is apprehensive about Harry because he vanished, and Loki isn't able to track him. Believe me, Loki isn't the bad guy in this, and that's nothing I say lightly. Zachariah showed up and tried to get Harry possessed by a demon," Sam explained to the woman who still looked to where Loki had vanished between two buildings.

"You want to tell me that an angel works together with a demon?" Bones asked in disbelieve. She heard many things throughout her work, but that indeed was novel and nothing she would believe without proof or at least an excellent explanation.

Sam raised an eyebrow. "What did Loki tell you about the recent occurrences?"

"That Zachariah faked the prophecy to bind Harry to get him Riddle's soul," she replied, confused.

"And what about Lucifer?"

"What has that to do with Harry?" she frowned. Sure Loki told her everything about the cage and the seals if one would influence even Britain, but she couldn't see the link to Harry.

Sam looked at her strangely when he realised just why she didn't know about the connection. Loki hadn't had the time to tell her yet.

"Sorry, I forgot that it is something we found out only recently, and it seems that Loki didn't have the time to tell you yet. Zachariah made a deal with a few demons so that they would help him to get Lucifer out, but in return, he would have to deliver them Riddle's soul," Sam explained. It actually was something that Crowley managed to find out and told them about two weeks ago.

"That explains...a lot," Bones mused, watching how two Aurors carried the dead man away for a later closer inspection. "I already wondered why that angel needed the soul this desperately. But, besides that, who killed the demon? Just for the record."

"That was me. I couldn't allow him to touch or possess Harry, not that it would have worked anyway," Sam answered with a chuckle.

"How so?" she asked curiously.