Chapter 36: Bugs and other Nuisances

They teleported over to the Ministry to get Lily and James reinstated as alive. Unfortunately, both were very well known for their sacrifice. Therefore, a murmur of incredulity and shock and surprise followed them from the moment they landed in the Atrium.

After a short visit to the front desk to state their business, they were on their way to the second floor where the respective Department was situated. At the same time, Sirius went to the canteen for a coffee. They were just in the middle of recounting how they were both alive again when Amelia Bones came rushing into the room.

"And here I thought that I made myself clear that you shouldn't create chaos while staying here, Loki!" She exclaimed, preceding any greeting.

"Oy, why do you think that it was me only because something unconventional happened?!" Loki retorted, mock hurt.

"Do I really have to answer that question?" Bones replied, looking at him sternly.

"Actually, it was my doing this time," Harry admitted sheepishly.

"Wait, you did this?" Bones was now shocked. "How?"

"I made a deal with Crowley," Harry ducked his head.

"Crowley?"

"A Crossroad Demon."

"King of the Crossroad Demons, actually. Madame Bones, don't worry, Harry is in no danger," Loki explained when he saw the stern woman's gaze darkening on the thought that a child made a demon deal. "Believe me that I wouldn't have allowed it otherwise. The only stipulation is that he delivers Riddle's soul to him."

"Riddle?"

"Tom Marvolo Riddle aka Lord Voldemort, aka the most wanted man in hell," Loki growled.

"But he's dead, is he not?" the woman asked confusedly.

Loki looked at her contemplatively before he made a decision. He grabbed under the t-shirt he was currently wearing, and that read, "Always be yourself unless you can be Loki. Then always be Loki!". The shirt Harry had gifted him for Christmas because he was so amused by it that he had to buy it. Considering that he hadn't been born as Loki made it all the more hilarious. Pulling out a pendant with a glowing emerald in the middle, he gave it a last look before he held it out towards Bones.

"Do you know what this is?" he asked her.

Bones looked at him strangely but carefully picked up the pendant. She ran a few spells over it when her eyes widened with shock and surprise.

"A Horcrux?" she asked in complete disbelief.

"Yes, and no," Loki answered. "Yes, this is de facto a Horcrux though it wasn't made the normal way. I actually made this one when it became apparent that a part of Riddle's soul was possessing Quirrell last school year. When I punished the man for endangering a student's life, I became aware of it. I quickly captured the soul piece so that it couldn't endanger anyone else. Unfortunately, Quirrell didn't survive the shock of the soul piece leaving him. Then, another piece was added when I gave Harry a magical tattoo that would protect him from possession of all sorts. Obviously, Riddle had also made him a Horcrux though whether it was intentional or not, I don't know."

Bones now looked with wide eyes and pale from the shock at Harry. "Is...are you alright?" she finally asked him only to receive a glare from Loki that told her what a stupid question that was, as if he wouldn't have made sure of it.

"So, he is still alive," she muttered when she realised something. "And you didn't deem it important enough to tell me?" she now thundered.

Loki ducked his head sheepishly. "I forgot?" he said, but it came out more like a question.