Chapter 37: This was the Initial Trick

When Loki landed, Harry let go of him so he could look around properly. He saw with amazement that they ended up next to what seemed to be a vast Asian market that obviously was magical. It was still dark and definitely very early in the morning there. Yet, the red paper lanterns floating over the entire market lit it up quite well.

Everywhere stood small booths and even in some cases only a cart with a tarpaulin above it to keep the objects being sold dry during rain. In the middle was a massive fountain depicting a dragon that spewed water. Surrounded was the large area with houses containing shops, cafés and whatever else needed a solid structure and not just a booth or cart.

Though, despite the earliness, it was still quite full. People were bustling in between the booths and carts, sorting things and restocking their wares. Harry could even spot dwarves, goblins and several other races. It was a bit like the shopping mall in America and yet wholly different, more like those middle-age markets than a modern one.

"You know all the nice places, don't you?" Harry asked, turning towards Loki with a beaming smile.

"Of course, I know the good places. Anything less wouldn't do after all," Loki snorted and set into motion. "I guess you'll want to buy some souvenirs?"

"You're right. It would be rude not buying something for our friends," Harry mused, missing the surprised look from Loki.

It had been such a long time that he let anyone close to him. Not only in fear of something happening like it had with his family but also because he knew very well that a human's lifetime was limited. He wanted to spare himself the pain of losing a good friend. Breaking into heaven (or possibly hell) would only be a pain in the ass. Not to mention that it brokered a considerable risk. Now it seemed that he gained a large circle of friends without even trying. He also got one of his brothers back – okay, it was the typically stern elder brother who liked to scold him for his pranks, but at this point, he was just glad to have him back. If only Lucifer would be that reasonable.

Somehow, he had a feeling that the future wouldn't be as bleak as he had feared it would be. No, he was actually looking forward to what was to come for the first time in a very long time.

Throwing an arm over Harry's shoulder – which was thanks to him being an adult again a relatively easy thing to do – he led him towards the first stall.

"Then let's see what they have!" he piped happily, walking towards the closest stall, which was selling charms.

Loki and Harry strolled all over the market for quite some time. They bought something here and there that they thought their friends would appreciate when Harry's stomach began to rumble.

"Looks like someone needs something to eat," Loki laughed.

Harry blushed slightly but nodded. "Haven't eaten anything since we left heaven," he muttered.

"Wait...what? Why didn't you say anything?" Loki questioned, shocked, but Harry only shrugged.

"It's nothing...I'm used to it...well, I was before I went to Hogwarts, and I didn't want to bother anyone," he mumbled, looking at his feet.

"Not anymore!" Loki exclaimed. "I want you to tell me when you're hungry, tired or whatever else. I'm not those...those...."

Loki growled in exasperation. It seemed that a few issues still were left from the treatment Harry got before he came to Hogwarts, but Loki was confident that he could help him overcome them. Considering that Harry now had him and his parents, Sirius, Severus...hell, probably even his brother Michael. It was a given that he would learn to be a normal child with time, if not a little bit spoiled.