Drop-Bear

You ran to chase after it through the trees. You were fast but it was faster. You could barely see the outline of the creature as it held the kid by the arm while jumping branch to branch. You honestly thought it was going to kill the child from mere impact with the tree branches but it was skilled enough to keep its prey alive.

It had been weeks of following the (as Dean coined) 'fugly' creature- a "drop-bear" as you called it. Originally a drop-bear was supposed to be an aboriginal folklore hoax that was commonly spoken about in tall tales designed to scare tourists. It's described as a koala/lion hybrid that drops onto unsuspecting tourists' heads thus earning their name. Stories say they attack with a nasty bite and long claws but if you wear vegemite or toothpaste behind the ear they won't attack. At first, you thought you were being smart by taking the precaution but once you realized the toothpaste that you smeared on yourself didn't work you were grateful you weren't making a fool of yourself in front of the boys, rather you were just making yourself look like a lunatic to average citizens by running around with toothpaste spread behind both ears and extra around the neck just in case.

That is what brought you to this moment- running after a snatched child with sweaty toothpaste running down your back. A situation you would have never expected yourself to ever be in.

There was no explicit lore to go off of on how to kill the beast so you got your hands on a shotgun and brought your knife and a machete just in case things didn't go how you had planned, and things definitely were not going how you had planned.

The kid was collateral brought on by some stupid parents and a DNR officer that was calling to have you removed from the premises for "disturbing the peace" whatever the hell that meant. You had just been asking folks to go home and not camp in the designated camping area, rather go to the motel only 15 miles out since there was an "insect infestation" in the campgrounds. Well someone caught your bluff by looking at your make-shift DNR badge too closely and soon enough you were being escorted off the premises by actual authorities. Luckily for you, the Officer got a little distracted when the parents turned around and their little boy was gone. You had made a break for it, making sure you grabbed your gear from the tree you were resting your weapons against and then booking it through the forest.

 "It will be an easy case," you told Dean. "In and out. Two days tops," you mumbled to yourself as you continued to run.

Once you couldn't hear the damned beast anymore you squatted low and caught your breath, listening intently for any sign or sound of movement.

It was quiet apart from the sounds of insects and the nightlife of bats through the trees.

Damn it.

***

After a while you were walking in circles in the dark, not knowing where to go or what to do. You wanted to keep people safe. You wanted to save this kid, but now you had the extra stress of having enough time to find the thing before the authorities found you.

It's not that you were opposed to kicking some officer's ass in order to finish the case, but you knew that they were just trying to do their job as you were trying to do yours. To put it plainly you had respect for their job. They are the ones that have the actual crazy job. They had to deal with people every day. Real living people. Everyday. And you did not envy them.

You continued to walk through the forest, trying to notice anything unusual or particularly unordinary but nothing was standing out. It made you frustrated that after all this time an overgrown koala had outfoxed you.

You thought back to earlier today and your talk with Sam over the phone. Dean was in a particularly bad mood and handed the phone to Sam but not too many words had gotten through before the phone was hung up. You figured that something had gotten under Dean's skin, and you kept wondering if it was you.