Chapter 21: Rengoku Family

'The sun is so bright'

A girl with silver orbs thought while looking up at the clear blue sky. Surprisingly her crow, Kio is currently sitting comfortably on her shoulder this time.

"Say Mr Crow, how does it feel to fly?"

Hikaru blurted out.

She could be really random at times. Her staring at things for a really long time, a lot of internal monologues, and sometimes asks random funny questions just like today.

Kio just stared at her not bothering to entertain the girl's question.

"Hm? Mr Crow?"

Unlike the owner, Kio can be brutally impatient and easily bothered by anything. From certain stupid things he witness or words he finds pointless. He's also easily triggered.

"Caw! Kio Caw! Call me Kio!"

He flew right atop her head and started to peck at her but not that hard. He seriously doesn't get it why she keeps addressing her like that but it doesn't really bother him since it's Hikaru we're talking about but still.

"Hikaru! Sorry to keep you waiting!"

An all too familiar voice was heard. Kio stopped what he's doing and faced the newcomer.

"Rengoku-sama! Caw!"

Kio acknowledged the Pillar and flew away to who knows where not bothering to say anything to the girl before leaving.

'He's always grumpy'

Hikaru thought and chuckled inwardly. She always calls him Mr Crow on purpose just to tease him because of how cute he is when being fussy.

"Hikaru? Did you wait long?"

This woke Hikaru out of her reverie about the crow and looked at the newly arrived man. His usual smile in place.

"Not at all and by the way where are we going Kyojuro-san?"

"You'll see! There's someone I want you to meet so I hope it's alright with you!"

He beamed with excitement.

Hikaru was thinking who could it be and is a little excited. This person must be special since Kyojuro looked so excited about it.

...

"Here we are! Welcome to the Rengoku Estate!"

A visible look of surprise is plastered on her face. Hikaru never thought of her getting to see Kyojuro's residence, yet alone meet his family. But here they are just infront of the estate.

Kyojuro guided her and they entered the estate stopping outside by the engawa.

"Wait for me here Hikaru!"

He skidded inside the minka. Leaving Hikaru sitting by the engawa while looking at the small pond just infront.

The house was huge and was surrounded by giant trees and high fences. The backyard was wide that it can be used as a training ground. There are also a lot of different plants and flora's around.

Hikaru was admiring the surroundings when she felt a presence watching her. She whipped her head to where the person was and froze. The person also went stiff.

She gently moved towards the figure and kneeled just infront of him. Her hands unconsciously went to cup the person's cheeks earning a blush from her bold actions.

"Kyo- Kyojuro-san?! B-but you're so small and- and so cute!"

Hikaru's sudden outburst had startled the young boy but she was too focused on his face. A perfect copy of the man she liked but wearing a cute expression.