Chapter 08: First Mission Pt. 2

"You don't need to know anything as I decided to devour you right now just like what I did to that previous demon slayer who came before you!!"

The demon suddenly disappeared which made Hikaru alert. Luckily, she had strong senses as she can pinpoint where the demon is by feeling only his presence.

'Right'

Hikaru jumped, avoiding the demon's attack from her right. She closed her eyes and focused.

"Ice Breathing, First form: Ice Geyser!"

Cold steam and Ice particles were emitted from the swinging of her blade like a geyser, cutting and burning the demon's skin making him scream in agony.

She maybe an Ice breath user but her first form is different from the other forms because upon swinging her blade, ice and steam will cut up the opponent but at the same time, the wounds inflicted will burn like fire instead of feeling the cold. It's like hot ice.

Because of the attack the demon had turned visible allowing Hikaru to fully see him. She ran and aimed her blade in his neck but the demon again blocked it with his hands but with difficulty. His neck was sliced halfway but his hands was fully detached and blood poured out of his sliced forearm.

Hikaru again aimed one more time but the demon swiftly planned to get away as he is having a hard time recovering. The demon turned and ran towards the forest, concealing himself once more. Hikaru went after him but restrained herself  a bit and decided to follow the demon as it might go back to where he is hiding the ones he captured.

On the other hand, the demon was in panic as he supported his head to avoid it from falling off. His hands beginning to regenerate although slowly.

Hikaru stealthily tailed the demon. Maintaining a certain distance so that the demon won't know she's following him and think that she's still looking for him.

The monk demon then entered a cave hidden in plain sight. From there, she can feel a lot of unknown pressence but faint. She guessed this was it and decided to go inside the dark cave. But it doesn't bother Hikaru as she can sense her sorroundings perfectly fine.

"Ah so this is where you take them huh? It's a spacious cave after all"

Hikaru stated making the demon turn in fear and shock as he had been found by the demon slayer. He's face twisted in anger and grabbed his collection of jars and broke it making him laugh maniacally. Five  unconcious people were released and he absorbed them into him making him regenerate in a second.

"Ufufufu foolish girl, you'll regret what you have done you wretched demon slayer brat!!"

With his sudden outburst, he kicked her but Hikaru managed to block his attack but his sudden power and force, she was sent flying out of the cave. Luckily she managed to stop herself from hitting her back into a tree.

"You made me waste my collections, I will tear you apart and eat your flesh for compensation!"

Hikaru can now see the demon clearly. His appearance became more menacing and ugly as he really looked like an oni now rather than his looks earlier. Her face contorted in disgust.

"That's disturbingly creepy"

Hikaru blurted out as she swings her nichirin blade attempting to cut his head again but he blocked it and took a hold of her sword's blade. She pulled away her sword making a cut on the demons palm. He growled and grabbed her ankle when she attempted to jump away. Hikaru took this opportunity to attack.

"I'm sorry Mr Demon but playtime's over and I'm hungry"

The demon's eyes widened in fear. Her aura changed into something more dangerous. He could feel it bringing chills up his spine.

"Ice Breathing, Fifth form: Blizzard"

A gust of ice cold wind slashed the demon's body swiftly and cleanly cutting it into parts along with his head. It's over.

Hikaru landed safely and looked looked at the now dead demon. She sheathed her sword and pressed her palm together to pray for the demon's soul. The body began disintegrating.

She looked up only to see the moon shining brightly as it is still midnight.

She then turned her head towards the cave. Feeling the pressence of people inside but this time stronger. She  breathed relaxingly as she had completed her very first mission.

"It's over now Kotaru-san you can come out now"

She calmy stated and began heading towards the cave. Kotaru was surprised she can tell that he's there hiding but nonetheless showed up and followed her inside. Kotaru sheepishly scratched her neck.

"I'm sorry miss Hikaru I know you told me to stay safe and wait at home but I just can't so I followed you and saw you battle with that deranged creature.....I'm sorry!"

Kotaru apologized. He was worried and wanted to help Hikaru in investigating the disappearances so he followed her from the very start. He was shocked that demons exist and also surprised at how brave Hikaru was in fighting the demon when he on the other hand almost screamed and piss his pants in fear. He was amazed at how strong and skilled she is in her swordsmanship.

"It's okay I understand, I just hope I'm not too late"

He was confused at her statement. Too late for what?

Upon entering the cave, luckily Kotaru brought a torch with him lighting up the dark cavern. But what surprised him is that several people were laying on the ground. But not just any person. They were the villagers who went missing. Kotaru immediately went to look for his loved one.

"Is she here Kotaru-san?"

Hikaru asked as she scans the cave and the unconcious villagers. Most of them were women and children. She looked at the man holding the torch.

"Sahime?! Sahime?! Where are you?!"

He went to look for Sahime and cried furiously when he saw her lying at the side. He hugged her frame and held her close muttering apologies.

Hikaru stared at the lovers in awe. She can feel Kotaru's love for the girl and that moved her. She felt warm just by looking at the sight of the two. She wondered herself if she could experience something such as warm and sweet as this.

...

"We are really thankful of your help miss Hikaru, please don't hesitate to approach and visit us if you have the chance, your always welcome here"

Kotaru bowed in sincere gratitude along with his now awaken fiancee Sahime.

After the incident, Kotaru offered his and Sahime's home for her to stay in and have some rest as a small token of gratitude for saving Sahime and the villahers. Altough some of the villagers who went missing were already eaten by the demon, they were still thankful as the demon was finally vanquished. She accepted the offer and rested until morning.

She's now currently saying goodbye to the couple as her mission is finally over. Sahime hugged her and packed her some onigiri and daifuku for her travel. She thanked the woman and also Kotaru of their kindness. A warm feeling inside of her again.