Chapter 29: Sunrise

Kyojuro didn't know what to think. He is usually calm and rational whenever he's in the battlefield but he couldn't help himself but to be swallowed in anger. Akaza's words had struck him to grief. It can't be true.

"What connection do you have with her? She seems special to you Kyojuro"

Akaza taunted with a smirk. Never did he imagine that both demon hunters that caught his interest knew each other somehow. Fate really is twisted.

"What happened to her?"

Kyojuro's voice was solemn but Akaza knew how he is just trying to calm down and stopping himself from attacking the demon right there and then.

Anger clouds your judgement.

Hikaru had once told him that and he knew how truthful it was. He is angry, really angry. Of Akaza, Muzan and to himself. He could've insisted and accompanied her but at the same time, he knew it was her decision and Kagaya trusted her fully with the mission that he too trusted her without asking anything. Because he knew that she is capable of taking care of herself.

"She's strong, really strong......but it wasn't enough. Become a demon Kyojuro, and you can honor her death by getting stronger and cherish her memories for a lifetime"

Akaza stated seriously. Oddly enough, his words also gave him confusion. Like he should be telling it to himself instead but why? He barely remembered anything about when he was still a human but even without any memories, he had the urge to be strong. And he did train for a hundred years to keep getting stronger, even when he didn't know why. It confused him but he shrugged it of. His focus on the Pillar standing infront of him, rage reflected in his opponent's golden eyes.

For Kyojuro, his statement made no sense. Why would he desire for more power when the girl he cherished is gone? There was no reason for him to get stronger when the person he loved and wanted to protect is gone. What's the use.....This made him angrier by the second that he can't think clearly anymore.

"I'll say it again and again, I'll never become a demon!"

Akaza was surprised of the Flame Hashira's sudden fluctuation in his battle spirit. The power driven demon felt chills up his spine that it made his eyes went wide with surprise.

"Kyojuro you...."

He smiled in anticipation. He could feel Kyojuro's rage when the Pillar attacked.His attacks were more intense and tenacious compared to earlier that he when he blocked Kyojuro's technique, his fists weren't enough to block the attack that he lost both his arms. Although it healed quickly, he still felt the pain. Akaza trembled in excitement. Kyojuro had finally lost his cool.

"Flame Breathing: Fifth Form, Flaming Tiger!"

Kyojuro unleashes powerful slashes towards Akaza, cutting him up in different parts of his body at a blinding speed. Akaza was also forced to defend his body from being cut especially his neck. The burning flame from his technique reassembled that of a flaming tiger.

...

They fought in a seemingly endless battle. Both displayed their strong techniques and will to fight and win.

Tanjiro and Inosuke who stayed by the sidelines wanted to help but they knew they would only get in the way. They couldn't do anything but to watch them fight and it angers them. Not for the Pillar but to themselves because of how useless they felt.

They can see it. Kyojuro was slowly becoming exhausted from all the strenuous attacks and techniques he used as his breathing became ragged. He was also bleeding out from the forehead and his left eye was crushed by Akaza's fists. His hands were trembling a bit. His rage hasn't fully subsided but he cooled down somehow.