Chapter 02: The Final Selection

"Be careful Hikaru dear and remember don't keep spacing out okay? Always be alert and please come back alive"

Worry was visible in her mahogany eyes. Euko even gave her a map for her not to be lost on her journey to Mount Fujikasane, where in the final selection will take place. She really made sure to give her one because Hikaru never went down the mountain where they live so she had no idea at all where is where. But nonetheless Hikaru is smart enough not to get lost.

"Don't worry Koizumi-sama I will"

Hikaru answered slinging her blade on her shoulder, bowing to her master.

...

Hikaru was amazed, although wearing a straight face, her eyes shined with amusement. It is her first time to encounter so much people after all. She was currently walking throught the busy village, a lot of men and women working, children were running around playing, vendors were busy with their costumers, varieties of food stalls and establishments but what caught her eyes the most is the ramen place.

She can smell the enticing aroma of noodles and broth. Apparently her stomach grumbled in hunger but hesitated to go forth. It has been hours since she left home. She headed out too early in the morning and it was already evening. She already ate all of the onigiri her master had made her for lunch so she had no food on her. Luckily her master gave her enough money for food and whenever she needed to stay in an inn.

She stared at the ramen place unconciously. It had been minutes when her stomach grumbled again waking her up in her daze. Hikaru sighed and began to walk inside.

The place was not that crowded, only a few costumers were there. Hikaru scanned the place until she found a perfect spot to eat. She went to seat at the very corner of the place and a waitress approached her upon seating.

"Hi anything you like to order miss?"

She stated wearing a friendly smile. Hikaru stared at her. A habit she had developed whenever she finds something or someone interesting or new to her. In this case, it is the first time she's encountering and to talk to another girl aside from her master.

"Uhm hello? would you like to order?"

The girl became uncomfortable with her stare but tried to shrug it away. Hikaru noticed it anyway.

"My apologies, uhm what would you recommend? You see it's my first time here"

Hikaru for some reasons felt flustered but luckily the girl haven't noticed and smiled understandingly.

"Oh! Well we are famous for our tonkotsu ramen but we also have soba, udon and miso soup"

Hikaru pondered for a bit.

"Then I'll have tonkotsu ramen with chashu pork if possible and uhh do you serve tea?"

"Of course ma'am! And yes we serve tea!"

The girl was too energetic for Hikaru but she didn't mind.

"Matcha tea please"

"Right away ma'am would that be all?"

Hikaru just nodded then the girl left still smiling. Her mind drifting off about the final selection. She was a bit nervous although she doesn't seem like it. She had never seen a demon in her life, only she knew that they were ruthless and they eat humans. Disgusting creatures as what her master says. Will she be alright? Will she survive the final selection?

The girl was then approached by the same girl earlier with her order.

"Here you go ma'am enjoy!"

Her thoughts vanished when she smelled the delicious scent of the ramen. She held her chopsticks and started devouring the food in such a short time. She may not seem like it with her small stature but she eats really fast and can be a bit of a glutton.

...

"Here is your room and if you need something don't be shy to ask for me"

Hikaru was lucky to find a place to rest for the night. The old lady showed Hikaru where she will be staying. Hikaru thanked the elderly then went inside. She proceeded to put down her sword and stripped her haori off then folded it gently.

After fixing herself, she laid into the warm futton her eyes staring at the ceiling.

She was feeling ecstatic for some reason. Meeting people and seeing something new had excited her a bit. She has emotions after all. And it's quite normal for someone to be excited upon stumbling on something new. She wondered if she could make any friends. Euko had always reminded her to make friends so she won't be lonely and having someone by your side is something to cherish for. Hikaru thought of it for a while until her mind drifted of about the final selection.

She had only a day to journey to Mt. Fujikasane as the final selection will take place the day after tomorrow. She wasn't enthusiastic about the idea of facing of some human eating creatures called demons but what else that she came here for? She endured 2 years of hard and exhausting thing called training. Euko may look like an angel she can be ruthless and her training methods were like hell. She always knew that there's more to her master than meets the eye. Like a devil in disguise.

She shuddered at the thought of her past training when she was just starting to train as a swordsman.

Swinging her wooden sword from morning till night, although taking a few break here and there, she's greatful her arms are still intact. Even running up and down the mountain to strengthen her stamina until Euko tells her to take a rest, meditating under the waterfalls enduring the cold and rough water cascading into her, jumping from place to place avoiding the tree logs and traps her master had set up, knives and sharp daggers aiming into her, she's just glad she's still alive and her body is still complete. Only gaining a few scars here and there.

It's one hell of a training but because of that, she learned to be resilient and independent. She had developed adoration towards her master from the very start that's why she strived to be strong just like her. It's just that she haven't still found her true desire on why she became a demon slayer. She haven't figured out yet, that's why she lacks determination and battle spirit. Is it because of just mere adoration towards her master or that she wanted to be like her? She knew she can never be like Euko. She doesn't have her master's perception to protect people from harm. Is she considered as cold hearted then? Because she doesn't care about others?

Being strong means nothing when you don't even know your reason of striving to be strong in the first place.