Chapter 07: First Mission

Hikaru was quietly walking through the dirt path observing the farmers who was working on their own fields. It was nearly lunch  and according to her map, she should be already near the village which will be where her first mission is.

Kio cawed then left saying he would be back whhenever she needed her. She just let him be and continued on her way until she can already see the village.

Walking upon the village was kinda strange. It was quiet although there are people walking around. Unlike the village she first went to when she went to the final selection, the people here seem to be cautious of new comers as some of them kept glancing at her direction and looks away when she looks back at them.

'Weird'

She thought. She was guessing that maybe it's because some of the villagers were missing that they being cautious especially to new faces.

She tried to feel anything but she can't really sense if there are demons in the area as the sun is still high up. She decided to patrol during the night but for now she would just try and ask questions if possible. Maybe she can try her socializing skills.

"Uhm excuse me?"

Hikaru shyly approached a man and a woman but they just stared at her and hurriedly left. This stunned her but shrugged it away. She tried to approach someone again but it seems that they are avoiding her.

'This is harder than I thought'

Hikaru couldn't help but sigh in deafeat. Now she's certainly sure that something's going on in this small village. She was glad she had wrapped her sword in a cloth which was slung at her shoulder as it might attract more suspicion from the villagers. They already look at her in a suspicious manner.

She gave up trying to talk to someone as it seemed hopeless anyway so she decided to just roam around the village to observe and wait for nightfall.

She was walking around when she sensed someone following her. She stopped for a second then continued to walk. The presence also halted but then continued to follow. Hikaru was jusy calmy walking around and took a turn to the forest but didn't went deeper. Just enough distance from people's view. She turned around and spoke.

"Why are you following me?"

Hikaru calmly asked not even alarmed that someone was indeed following her. The figure behind the tree flinched that he or she has been noticed.

"Do you need something mister? I'm pretty sure you won't follow me all the way here just for nothing"

Still in a calm manner she asked. The person was again shocked and bacame nervous as she could tell he was a man. He didn't have any choice but to show his self.

"Pl-please I'm sorry for following you miss but I n-need help"

The man looked to be in his early twenties with his slightly long black hair tied in a ponytail, dark eyes, and his clothes a bit disheveled. He looked miserable. His eyes watery.

Hikaru contemplated for a while staring at the man who became conscious and afraid. After a minute or two of thinking, she spoke.

"Why do you think I could help mister? I'm just a girl and what do you need my help with?"

The man was flustered but surprising Hikaru when he kneeled in his spot, his forehead touching the ground.

"W-well I know you are carrying a sword on your back so you must be a swordsman and you are dressed rather odd....the villagers won't help me and they are afraid but- but I can't also do it alone! Please miss! Help me find my beloved!"