Chapter 01: Hikaru Asagiri

The calming pitter patter of the rain drops from the outside can be heard through the room Hikaru was sitting in. Slowly the girl went by the window to watch as the rain continued to drizzle down the grey cloudy sky. She was in a trance like state, her mind wondering to dreamland when a woman dressed in a rose colored kimono walked in the room she was in.

" Hikaru dear I had finished sewing your haori for you to wear in the final selection"

The woman stated, satisfaction visible in her face. She was about to speak again when she noticed that the girl wasn't listening as she was still daydreaming who-knows-what.

" Hikaru~ daydreaming again are we?"

The woman stated a bit irritated but is used to Hikaru's daily antics. The woman neared beside the girl and tapped her head to wake her up in her trance.

" Huh? Oh Koizumi-sama uhm hi?"

Hikaru answered absentmindedly greeting the woman which is her master. The former Ice Pillar. Koizumi Euko.

Her hair was styled in a traditional maru-mage hair style, mahogany colored eyes, and her deceitful sweet smile. Hikaru was aware that there's more to her than meets the eye. She was her master after all.

An irk marked Euko's forehead as she stared at her student in disbelief.

'She only noticed me now?' she thought.

She just sighed in defeat as she knew she can't do anything with her student's behaviour. Hikaru was always like that the moment she met her.

" Dearie you really should stop daydreaming all the time as that may put you in danger"

Euko adviced although she already knew the girl's response. Hikaru just nodded.

" Well anyway I made you a haori! Use this when you go for the final selection tomorrow okay?"

Euko joyfully pulled Hikaru into the middle of the room to show her the haori she made. It was an icy blue color matching her hair, adorning with fading-like lotus flowers at the hem of the haori. It was beautiful. A perfect match for her breathing form. Ice breathing. And the lotus flowers which represents serenity. Just like her, calm and serene.

Hikaru was in awe and carefully taking the masterpiece from her master and gently placing her arms inside the sleeves wearing it. Euko clapped her hands in satisfaction.

She made it purposely as to match Hikaru's unique icy blue colored hair.

" Thank you Koizumi-sama"

The girl thanked her although not smiling. But Euko knows otherwise that she is truely thankful as she noticed the small glint of happiness in her silver orbs.

Hikaru Asagiri. She can never forget the first time she met her. Scrawny and cold as a corpse. She was on her way to report about her mission to Oyakata-sama, the head of the demon slayer corps when she found her lying on the cold ground in the streets. It was evening that day and the sun was setting. She couldn't leave the kid just lying there as demons are lurking through the night and it is their job as demon slayers to protect humans from demons.

She helped her and learned that the child had no idea of her family nor what is she doing lying on the streets that day. Hikaru had no memories. Only that her name was delicately embroidered on her clothes.

She had no choice but to take her in and decided to teach her things about demons and the demon slayers. She was 10 years old when she took her in and when she was 12, she taught her the Breath of Ice when she saw great potential in her. Even more that she learned fast and has sharp senses.

She was now 15 and ready to take the final selection. Euko was aware that she is still young but she believed in her only student's potential. Ice breathing was hard to master but Hikaru managed to master all of the 12 forms in such a young age.

But she can't help but to worry of her student whose always in a daze. Yes she has sharp senses but it always seem to get dull whenever she's in a daze. Hikaru is strong, a fact she can't deny but she lacks battle spirit. But even so, Euko just hope that she return safely. Hikaru is already a daughter to her the first time she met her.

" Be careful on your journey and make sure to not die Dearie"

Euko was frank with her words but that's just how she is. Hikaru nodded with reassurance visible in her silver orbs.

"Oh and before I forgot! Here is what you'll be using for the final selection"

Euko enthusiastically stated holding something that is covered in cloth. The cloth covering was then removed to reaveal a nichirin blade with radiant blue sheath and hilt. Euko's very own nichirin blade back when she was still a demon slayer.

" But Koizumi-sama it's yours and besides you already gave me one"

Hikaru was hesistant. She knew how sentimental and important her sword is to her master. She wouldn't dare.

"It's fine and don't worry I'm not giving it to you of course! I just want you to use it until when you have passed the final selection and have your very own nichirin blade"

Euko insisted.

" As you wish Koizumi-sama"

With this Euko was happy and excused herself to let Hikaru rest for her journey tomorrow.

...

It was already night time but Hikaru couldn't sleep at all. Although she may not seem like it, she was worried for the final selection.

Unlike others, she doesn't have the passion to truely strive to be a demon slayer. She can't remember her own family, or what happened to them but it doesn't matter to her anymore.

She had no one to fight for aside from her master and had no reason to loathe demons as she never had any tragic memory of them. Nor had encountered a demon. Euko's estate, although deep in the mountains, is surrounded by wisteria trees protecting them from demons.

She may seem heartless to not care about her family but she couldn't do anything about it because she doesn't even have any memories of them to begin with.

So why is she risking her life in becoming a demon slayer? She could stay here with her master and have a normal life but why did she agree in the first place? She had no idea at all. Or she just haven't really figured out yet.

She grew up in the mountains training and was taught to be independent by Euko. She had never met any human -none that she could remember anyways- besides her master so she had no idea of what friendship or acquaintance is.

Euko wanted her to see the world in it's glory rather than grow old in the mountains. To meet other people and even make friends. To experience something new.