Chapter 16: Thank You

Two weeks had passed since their mission in Kamakura City and both slayers had gone back to their usual demon slaying duties. Although that time, Kyojuro seemed a bit bothered since they had came back and reported to Oyakata-sama. An unusual behaviour for the jovial man.

Hikaru had once asked if he was feeling alright since the Hashira had become a bit quiet during their trip back home until they've reported about their mission. The girl was worried that what if he now feels regret upon treating her with everything and such. Or maybe she was overthinking too much.

And it turns out the reason why he was a bit bothered is really heartwarming for her. Kyojuro was a thoughful person which made the girl look up to him even more.

"Kyojuro-san are you okay? You've been so quiet since we've stepped out of Oyakata-sama's residence"

The girl curiously asked the usually booming man. His gaze fixated on her. She was wondering if it might have something to do with his private talk with Oyakata-sama or maybe she had done something.

"It's about that time when we had faced the kizuki demon, I wanted for you to be the one to finish her since I know you are strong and you can do it. I wanted you to become a Hashira"

Kyojuro admitted. Although it seems biased to others that he was making way for her to become a Pillar, she had the skills and talent to become one and Kyojuro had acknowledged her skills greatly that it would be a shame if she isn't one.

His statement made her smile which made him confused. She spoke.

"Is that why you hesitated that time? I don't know what to feel but don't worry about it Kyojuro-san, and to tell you the truth, I was supposedly to be a Hashira months ago  but I declined"

To become a hashira, either you will have to slay one of the kizuki demons or the alternate way is to become a kinoe and kill atleast 50 demons. Hikaru had already accomplished the latter and was recognised by her skills and swordsmanship by Oyakata-sama but she declined the offer to be a Hashira.

"Being a Hashira means having huge responsibilities and I'm afraid of  that responsibilities so I declined. I might sound like a coward or even selfish but I'm afraid of messing up so I didn't want to"

The girl quietly stated but the man heard her loud and clear. He understood her and didn't judge her choices. Being a Pillar is literally being the pillar for the demon slayer corps, being the foundation. And their duties lays vastly. They shoulder greater responsibilities than the others because they are supposed to be the strongest and resilient of all demon slayers.

Kyojuro sighed, a bright smile finally etched on his undeniable handsome face. His mind finally cleared.

"You're not selfish or a coward Hikaru, I understand how you feel and I respect it, all of us has our own fears"

This made the girl smile.

"Thank you Kyojuro-san"

...

Hikaru was doing her usual patrol around villages every night and rests during the days when she wasn't assigned on a mission. Just like today. Good thing that Reiko was with her patrolling since the girl also currently has no missions.

And since there was no strange happenings around, both decided to sit above a roof of a random minka and gazed at the stars. Catching up with each other.

"That's a nice ribbon Hikaru-chan, It was a first seeing you styling your hair"

Reiko commented when she had observed that Hikaru had tied her hair up with a midnight blue ribbon. It was her first time seeing the girl with her hair up. Usually it was always down.