Chapter 04: Reiko Ayano

'What's happening? Why do I feel nervous all of a sudden?'

Hikaru knelt to the ground still catching her breath. She's confused of what was happening to her. But she had a hunch it has to do with the aura she's feeling right now.

She held her blade tightly when rays of light kissed the ground. It was already sunrise. That was when the presence had vanished and Hikaru felt the heavy pressure on her chest lifted. Slowly she stared at the rising ball of light.

"Are you alright?!"

A concerned voice was heard and Hikaru turned her head to see who. Surprisingly it was the girl from earlier.

"I'm fine"

Hikaru answered shortly. Standing up and faced the girl. The girl smiled with relief and her eyes seemed happy and thankful.

"I'm glad! I just want to thank you for saving us! If it weren't for you we would be dead meat"

The girl let out a chuckle and smiled at Hikaru.

"I'm Ayano Reiko! But you can just call me Reiko"

She offered her hand which Hikaru just stared not knowing what to do. She tilted her head. Figuring out what she meant, Hikaru awkwardly held her hand then spoke.

"Oh uhm Hikaru Asagiri"

Hikaru quietly stated not used to introducing her self to other people. Reiko seemed to understand her discomfort as she smiled warmly.

"It's nice to meet you Hikaru-chan! Oh sorry is it fine if I call you that?"

Her voice was sweet and friendly. Her master's words echoed in her mind. For her to make friends.

Hikaru didn't know the feeling of having friends and to even make friends. She thought that this may be a good start of one.

"It's okay I don't mind"

Hikaru smiled. Although a faint one, she smiled which made Reiko smiled back even wider and held Hikaru's both hands in hers.

"I think we're gonna be bestfriends!"

Reiko happily stated making Hikaru's eyes sparkle and feel warm inside. She didn't know but she was feeling kinda happy with the thought of having a friend.

...

Two days had already passed and it the final selection was finally over. But what more interesting is Hikaru and Reiko had decided to work together to survive until the end of the selection.

"Welcome back everyone"

The twins greeted them with their usual smile. Then proceeded to explain every ranks of the demon slayer corps.

"Waah just the eight of us? Of all the thirty participants?"

Reiko questioned or merely stated while looking at the other survivors. Most of them had bruises and scratches, some even had dried blood on them, and most importantly, they're all exhausted. Including Hikaru and Reiko.

"Hikaru-chan I'm glad we survived but I'm also sad for those who didn't make it"

Reiko sadly stated making Hikaru stare at her.

Within the two days that they had spent, Hikaru got known Reiko more and Reiko had understood Hikaru's demeanor better.

Hikaru noticed Reiko's passion and determination to be a demon slayer. Whenever they encounter a demon, she could feel Reiko's anger but at the same time pity with the demons. Reiko is also a friendly and sympathetic against people who can't protect themselves and those who are hurt and in danger. She admired her strong persona even though she can feel Reiko's fear constantly when battling against a demon.