Chapter 12: Attraction

"Thank you Mister"

"No problem Miss! Please come any time!"

Hikaru is free for the day and tomorrow so she decided to buy some groceries since she is currently out of food.

"I just need to buy flour and egg and that's it I think"

She was on her own little thoughts that she didn't notice the man calling her name. Pacing towards her direction.

"Hikaru-san!"

Hikaru snapped out of her thoughts, seeing the man calling out to her with a wide smile.

"It's nice seeing you again Hikaru-san!"

Kyojuro greeted with a big smile, waving at her. Hikaru looked at him and waved back with a small smile.

"Rengoku-san what are you doing here?"

"Oh I was just on my way back from a mission, I suppose Oyakata-sama informed you about our week long mission?"

He stated on his usual cheery voice. The girl staring at him in awe.

"Of course and I'll be in your care Rengoku-san I look forward in working with you"

Hikaru smiled with excitement. Working with a Pillar is something to look forward to.

Kyojuro stared at the smiling girl, finding her smile somewhat enticing. Something strirring inside him.

"Well I was just about to grab something to eat, do you wanna come with? I'd be happy if you will"

Kyojuro asked with much excitement. Hikaru was confused of the Flame Hashira's sudden invite but shrugged it away and happily agreed. She was hungry anyway and it is already lunch, she decided to buy the remaining groceries later.

She nodded in agreement making the man smile in satisfaction.

______

Love comes in unexpected ways.

Loving someone had once crossed Kyojuro's mind. He believes it will come when the right time comes with the right person but he hadn't given any thoughts of finding love yet. Not when demons still exist. He wanted to love someone and have a family in a peaceful environment, one without demons. He wanted his loved ones to experience life without any fear.

He had his own views in life and goals he wanted to accomplish. That is to use his talent to protect the weak from any harm, and just like every demon slayers wish, to end the one and only father of all demons, Kibutsuji Muzan.

He hadn't thought of falling inlove just yet. But does love starts with attraction? Maybe? He's not sure.

Being a demon slayer means putting your life on the line to protect the people from demons. There's no guarantee you will live to see tomorrow when battling a demon. Love wasn't really an option. And Kyojuro wasn't the type to be easily attracted to girls but he felt different this time.

He finds her strong and brave. Being able to fight and hold herself up in a battle with an upper moon alone is something to praise for. He became interested in her. When he first met her by the engawa at the butterfly estate alone, he felt drawn to her. He wanted to get to know her more. That's why he requested to be partnered with her on the mission to Oyakata-sama.

He's aware of the attraction he felt towards the icy blue haired girl. When she smiled at him, he was enticed with it. His heart skipped a beat. Is it what they call love at first sight? After all, this strange new feelings all started the moment he caught her in his arms.

And right now, the girl that had been on his mind oftenly is sitting right infront of him. Happily slurping on her noodles. His golden eyes gazing at her intently.

"Rengoku-san? Is something wrong?"

Hikaru looked at the man infront of her in confusion on why he stopped eating and stared at her. Kyojuro seemed to notice her expression and let out a chuckle.

"Ah It's nothing Hikaru-san, you seem to be enjoying the food!"

Kyojuro said with a joyous voice and picked up his chopsticks again.

"Mmh! It's delicious and noodles is my favorite!"

Hikaru stated with a big smile. Then continued to eat. Happiness clouding him.

It had been an hour and they had already tried a lot of dishes and desserts on the restaurant. A stack of plates and bento boxes on their table but neither did care about it. They were too busy eating and chatting to notice the stares from the people in the restaurant.

Kyojuro was even more amazed on how she can eat a lot with how petite her body is. Normally, girls would always watch how much they eat but Hikaru seemed to not care. This made him like her even more. And Hikaru never really cared about her looks or body. Nor is she concerned about being judged by people. She knew better.

...

It was already evening by the time they had finished. Kyojuro insisted to walk her home. The girl was reluctant at first, saying he should rest but Kyojuro didn't listen insisting he doesn't mind.

"It was nice meeting you again Rengoku-san, I enjoyed your company and thank you for treating me to a meal"

Hikaru thanked the Flame Pillar. After they ate, more likely gobbled up almost everything the restaurant can offer, Kyojuro insisted to pay for everything. Hikaru had protested but the yellow haired man is a tough nut to beat. In the end, Hikaru felt a bit shy but Kyojuro just laughed it off, telling her to not worry.

"Well I'm happy spending time with you Hikaru, rest well and see you on our mission together! I look forward to it"

Hikaru asked to drop the formalities when calling her and Kyojuro did the same but the girl was too shy and never dared to call Kyojuro by his name even when he insisted it. He is her superior after all. She wouldn't dare.

"R-right rest well too Rengoku-san, Have a good night"

Hikaru was at loss of words when he patted her head, smiling brightly like the sun which made Hikaru stare at his tall figure. It always make her stunned at how bright and beautiful his smile is. His close eyed smile making him more brighter and attractive in her eyes. Her cheeks blushing without her noticing but the man infront of her did.

Kyojuro chuckled at her blushing state, finding her cute.

There's no doubt about it now. He had taken a liking to the girl infront of him. Feeling somewhat contented with their small time together, he got to know her a bit.

He nodded and waved good bye. Leaving the girl on her thoughts.

'Ahh he is definitely a sunshine'

Hikaru had met a lot of boys but Kyojuro stood out of all. His jovial personality and sunshine smile was something Hikaru began to admire. And he was the only one that made her felt weird.

She entered her home. Euko's estate was deep in the mountains and it would be bothersome if Hikaru was to go back and forth the mountain whenever she had missions so Euko had let her stay on the former Ice Pillar's home back when she was still a demon slayer. She was living alone now.

She put her groceries away and cleaned herself up prepring to rest, not bothering to have dinner since she and Kyojuro ate a lot. She sat by the window on her room watching the setting ball of flame.

A certain yellow head came to mind.