Chapter 24: Infinity Train

The whole room was filled with silence. Kagaya understood why.

"What about her Crow?"

Shinobu asked in a worried tone.

Kagaya slowly shook her head.

"When her crow had returned from sending her first and last report, Kio couldn't locate her, he searched for days but only to find her broken nichirin blade near a river bank, no signs of her"

Oyakata-sama had a grim expression. His voice held regret and sadness. After all he was the one who ordered the girl on a dangerous mission. One of the twins, Nichika Ubuyashiki unwrapped an all too familiar blade which made the Insect Pillar gasped in surprise. Her eyes watering in sadness.

The blade was broken and the sheath was destroyed.

The Pillars held a grim expression as another demon slayer had fallen in the hands of a demon. Although not entirely sure of what happened to her, it's unavoidable not to assume that demons are involved.

"Rengoku-san"

Shinobu whispered in her breath. Glancing at the Flame Pillar, she can feel how devasted he may be but when he saw him, he had an unreadable expression but she noticed his fists was tightly clutched. She looked decided to look away.

The Pillars were muttering some possibilities that may have happened when Kyojuro had finally spoken, making them silent. Kyojuro wasn't one to stay silent whenever they held a meeting as he always have something to say regarding to what their agenda is that the other Pillars noticed his idleness from the very start that they were confused of his actions. But now that he finally had said something, the thought of him knowing Hikaru passed their minds.

"Oyakata-sama what exactly was her mission?"

Kagaya was already expecting this question.

"Her mission was to find out where Muzan is hiding. It's a dangerous mission and yet I've ordered her to. I'm sorry Kyojuro"

His voice held regret. More so, his statement had baffled the Pillars.

"But that's impossible!"

Uzui was wide eyed.

"Is that girl that special to really take on the mission?!"

Sanemi was even confused of Kagaya's decisions. Why not one of them? The Pillars. Why did the Oyakata-sama choose a kinoe instead of a Pillar ranked demon slayer for the mission? And why take action now?

"Oyakata-sama...."

Even Shinobu was shocked at his statement. She believed in Hikaru's abilities but couldn't help but to doubt about her current well being as the evidences found were strongly indicating of her demise. If it was really Muzan, there's a little to no chance for her to be still alive. But Shinobu couldn't think of her to be already dead too. She just can't.

"Oyakata-sama please allow me to investigate what happened and find Hikaru"

Kyojuro's statement had made the Pillars retort in different ways and Kagaya knew in the back of his mind that he will sooner or later do what he asked. Kagaya gently let out a nod. The Pillars also kept silent.

"I understand my child. I give you this as a mission"

Kagaya's simple statement made Kyojuro's heart burn with desire. The desire to find Hikaru. His hope to see her alive again will never waver.

She is still alive. She have to be.

...

"Please be careful on your mission Rengoku-san"