Chapter 06: The Journey Starts

"Dearie I'm happy you're back and fine too!"

Euko was ecstatic to see her student made it successfully and safe. Looking into her student's appearance, her haori and kimono was a bit soiled and looking exhausted from the long travel. And not to mention she hadn't sleep yet making her under eyes a bit dark. She grimaced at Hikaru's state.

"Oh my did you travel the night? You should best go and take a shower first then rest, we'll talk after you rest dearie"

Euko ordered her and Hikaru just obliged without any complaint as she too feel tired. She bowed and settled her belongings in her room then went straight to the bathroom.

With a grunt, she stripped of her kimono and went under the shower feeling the hot water trickling her skin. She then decided to soak in the hot tub to soothe her muscles and relaxed.

...

It was already night as Hikaru had already had her rest and decided to talk to her master about the final selection. There she told Euko all except the time that something wrird happened to her after she fought the hand demon.

"Hikaru I'm glad you're safe and I'm proud of you for starting to make friends, isn't it nice to meet and befriend people"

Hikaru smiled a bit which amused her master as it is rare for her to smile. Euko was glad that Hikaru had somehow begins to show her emotions. It is a nice start.

"You seem glad to have meet this Reiko girl and I'm amused to see a change in you for just a little time, you've even smiled and I can feel happines from when you were telling me about your encounter with this girl"

A tint of joy in her master's words. Hikaru met her master's eyes, a glint of emotion visible in her silver orbs.

"Reiko is an interesting person master, she has this strong and positive aura around her and whenever we encounter a demon, I can feel she's scared but still fight with courage, I like her"

Hikaru stated with fondness. She admit that she likes Reiko because of her enthusiastic and kind personality. Something she admires.

On the other hand, Euko was surprised with her words. But was happy for Hikaru as she had found a great friend and it looks like to her that she looks up to her.

...

Hikaru was training in the backyard with her swings while waiting for someone as it was said that they would be arriving anytime at this day.

Two weeks had passed and today was supposed to be the day that she'll finally have her own nichirin blade.

Still swinging her wooden sword, she took a rest for a while and joined her master whose sipping her usual tea, sitting by the engawa.

"You should take it easy for now dearie and just rest while waiting for you swordsmith, here have some tea, it's your favorite"

Euko poured her some matcha tea and Hikaru thanked her master. Taking in the tea and sipping it enjoying the taste and aroma. Her master was the reason as to why she likes matcha tea as she always drinks it oftenly making her fond of the tea too. Now she doesn't drink anything aside from this tea and of course water.

"Hikaru-- Oh looks like he's here already, Good afternoon Kanamori-san! It's nice to see you again!"

Hikaru looked at the gate entrance which was opened and saw a man with a red mask with an elongated mouth like a pipe and round red blush on the cheeks carrying a long rectangular wooden box. A bit creepy for Hikaru as she really doesn't like masks as it gives her the chills.

Euko went to greet him and Hikaru reluctantly went after. She noticed that her master knows the man from their casual greeting with each other.
The man with the mask faced Hikaru.

"I suppose you're my client, I'm called Kanamori, It's nice to meet you"

"Uhm I'm.....Hikaru Asagiri, It's nice meeting you too"

Hikaru answered although a bit anxious.

"Well Kanamori-san let's head inside first shall we?"

Euko invited him and gestured for him to come in. They went inside the former Ice Pillar's estate and Hikaru went to serve the man some tea.

"I'm amused you have a student who passed the selection Koizumi-sama since most of your past students tends to give up on your training and ended up leaving not lasting for even a week"

Kanamori stated nonchalantly which made Hikaru tense up as she can feel the threatening aura sorrounding her master.

"Oh I know that very well Kanamori-san, would you like too find out why? I'd be very much happy to show you"

Euko stated with a sinister smile. This made Kanamori and Hikaru flinch and tense up at her also sinister aura.

Hikaru knew the reason very well. She had personally experienced it afterall. She understood why they left. She had once asked her master why she hadn't had any students besides her but her aura also went dark and she just smiled and answered...

'Oh they got to taste hell and couldn't stand it so they left'

Was all she said. Euko Koizumi was known for her hellish and brutal methods in training so no person who strives to be a demon slayer had the audacity to approach her. The only student who persevered to learn the Ice breathing was Hikaru. But the girl understands why her master was strict in training because Ice breathing is hard to muster. Once you lose your concentration and breathing, your lungs will suffer the consequences and will freeze and might lead to death. It's as simple as that.

Kanamori on the other hand just gulped and tried to fix his mistake. He didn't want to get on the former Hashira's bad side after all. He knew how brutal Euko could be when agitated.

"Asagiri-sama here is your own nichirin blade, made from the special ore of your choice....I've also made the sheath and gourd the color of your breath as I've heard it is the Ice breathing"

Kanamori explained making Hikaru stunned at how smooth he had changed the topic. Her master's dark aura had diminished instantly.

"My how beautiful indeed but we won't know for sure if she'll have the icy blue color for her blade, but I doubt it.....anyway why don't we find out shall we dearie"

Euko stated. Hikaru stared at the nichirin blade in front of her. She could feel the excitement filling her but composed herself. She held the blade and removed it from it's sheath bring the blade infront of her. Not long after, the dull color of the blade turned to a beautiful icy blue color. She turned to her master, her eyes sparkling with happiness. An unusual thing for her to show but she did anyway.

"I'm proud of you dearie"

...

"Be careful always my dear and again don't forget to learn and be sociable and most importantly stop spacing out okay? Always watch out for yourself"

Euko wiped a few tears as she held her dear student's hands on her own. Euko might be her master but she felt like she is also like a mother and Euko also sees her as a daughter. Hikaru felt sad that she will leave her master alone but she knew her master can manage.

"Take care of yourself master, I'll send you letters from time to time and I'll visit if I have the chance to Koizumi-sama"

Hikaru stated. Euko nodded her head in agreement and wished Hikaru a good luck as she left with a wave and a smile.

...

Hikaru was walking down the ragged path down the mountain when her kasugaigarasu came flying to her sight.

"Caw! First mission! Caw! Head north! People began disappearing without any clue! Caw! Caw!"

Her crow shouted and flew above her head landing and sitting on it. Hikaru didn't mind her crow's actions but instead thinking about how she already had a mission that fast. She just shrugged her shoulders and continued her journey.

'I wonder how Reiko is doing right now'