Chapter 05: Mysterious Encounter

"So Mr Crow are you hungry?"

Hikaru asked walking towards the village and she remembered the  ramen shop where she ate at. Kio, her crow seemed irritated for some reason as he began flapping his wings sitting on her head.

"Kio! Caw! Call me Kio! Caw!"

Kio began pecking her head lightly. Hikaru just surprisingly snickered and answered 'Alright' as she held Kio infront of her.

"I'm hungry how about you?"

"Caw! Hungry! Caw!"

Hikaru can't help but chuckle at her crows behaviour and cuteness. She nodded her head and head straight through the busy streets of the village looking for the ramen shop.

She immediately went to the shop. Kio flewed away saying to be back later as he have something to do. Hikaru just let him be.

"Uh tonkatsu ramen with chashu pork please and matcha tea"

Hikaru felt excited as she will again finally be able to eat something other than onigiri's and her master's special pills which mainly consists herbs and medicine that she ate during the seven days in the final selection. And it honestly taste bitter but her master would punish her if she didn't take all of it. But she's thankful because the pills helped in replenishing her energy.

"Here's your order miss! Welcome again!"

Hikaru looked up to see the girl with the radiant smile again. She decided to return back a faint smile and thanked the girl.

"No problem miss! I'm at your service anytime!"

The girl happily bowed then walked away to serve the other costumers.

Hikaru stared at her ramen feeling her stomach grumbling. She grabbed her chopsticks and started eating.

'What do Mr Crow need to do anyway? Hmm nevermind that'

Hikaru thought while chewing her noodles. Seconds later she finished her food with the last slurp of the ramen broth. Then she drank her tea peacefully.

...

It's evening already and the sun was setting. The some villagers are now already headed home so the streets are not that crowded anymore.

However Hikaru was still sitting at some bench. Kio in her lap pecking the snack in her palm that she brought earlier. Some dried fruits and nuts. She was staring at the setting sun.

"Caw! Take shelter! Caw! Demon might attack you! Caw!"

Kio spoke but haven't had any response. Hikaru still staring at the orange sky but her mind drifting somewhere. It's obvious to the crow that she was spacing out.

"Caw! Caw! Snap out of it! Hikaru! Caw!"

But again with no reaction nor response at all, Kio was again aggravated and flew to her head and began pecking it this time harder.

"H-hey that's not nice"

Hikaru was confused on why her crow just attacked her head. Rubbing her head she poke again noticing her sorroundings.

"Huh? It's nearly night already?"

Her statement made her crow sweatdrop as she stood up. Closing her eyes for a bit and breathed deeply then opened them.

"Let's go"

She grabbed her wrapped blade and  her bag containing her demon slayer uniform then slung it on her shoulder.

"Caw! It's nearly night! Take shelter! Caw!"

Her crow stated but she just shrugged it off telling Kio that it's fine and she decided to travel the night to arrive home earlier. Kio warned her about demons but she just continued walking ignoring her crows protests.

...

'Ahh the moon is beautiful tonight'

Hikaru thought as she gazed at the night sky stopping in her tracks. Feeling the cold breeze blowing towards her face. She then continued to walk through the night until her mind began to wonder back during the final selection where she felt that heavy feeling. Like something was putting pressure on her.

'Hmm must be a powerful demon I guess'

The cold wind once again blew and the trees and bushes rustled making her snap out of her thoughts. Not long after that she heard the rustling against the trees like something or rather someone was running. She can sense that someone was heading towards her direction. Two of them.

She just stayed still but her body was on alert if ever someone more likely a demon will attack her. A bit thankful that her crow left somewhere earlier.

Seconds later that she felt the bloodlust in the air. A figure jumping towards her attacking her but she jumped out of her spot and stood in a distance. A demon had appeared.

"Hehe you look delicious little girl"

The demon which had pale and veiny skin stated with a creepy grin.

'His veins are creepy'

Was the only thing that went through her mind. Ignoring the demon. He then attacked and Hikaru drew out her sword to block it. Slicing of the demon's shoulder in the process.

"Why you little---"

The veiny demon hadn't managed to complete his statement when his head fell of his body.

"Ah you're the one hunting him?"

She asked the newly appeared figure and sheathed her sword. The unknown person then sheathed his own sword before facing her with a plain expression.

"You posses a nichirin blade, are you part of the demon slayer corps?"

The man spoke in a straight voice. Hikaru looked at him. But because it's still dark and the only source of light is the moonlight, she cannot exactly describe him apart from tall stature, his unruly hair tied in a low ponytail and his unique mismatched haori.

"Oh uhm yeah I just passed the final selection recently and is heading home"

The mysterious man just hummed in response and silence took over for just a minute until he spoke again.

"Then watch out for demons if you're continuing to travel tonight, I shall take my leave now"

The man then silently left leaving Hikaru. She just shrugged noticing his behaviour.

'Maybe he's a man of few words.....maybe a bit like me? Hmm I don't really know but I hope we'll meet again"

She thought continuing her travel. The stars littered above her shining brightly making her stare at the beautiful night sky. Her mind wandering about the mysterious man earlier.