Chapter 23: Finally

"I like you Hikaru Asagiri, don't worry about replying. I can wait. Have a good night sleep"

Hikaru really did sleep well that night. A small smile painted on her face while fading away in dreamland.

...

"Shinobu-san are you going to fetch the herbs you requested?"

Hikaru asked the Insect Pillar. She nodded with a smile.

"Can I come? I also wanted to tell you something"

Hikaru shyly asked that made Shinobu look at her in a teasing way. Usually, Hikaru would approach her when she is injured or just to talk to her about duties and personal matters. She's acts as a big sister to Hikaru even though they're only a year apart.

"So what do you want to tell me Hikaru-chan? Is it about Rengoku-san?"

Hikaru nodded which made the Insect Pillar smile in a teasing manner. She eyed Hikaru before talking.

"So did he confessed his feelings?"

Shinobu could tell how her fellow Pillar had taken a liking to the icy blue haired girl just by his actions and glances towards Hikaru which she had witnessed back at the Pillar meeting they held at the Ubuyashiki Estate.

Hikaru felt a bit shy about how she guessed her situation accurately but again nodded nonetheless. A small smile on her lips and a faint blush adorning her pale cheeks.

"Really?! So what did you say? Have you accepted him? I'm so happy for you Hikaru-chan"

The older girl remarked with excitement in her usual sweet voice while happily tugging the small girl in her embrace.

"I didn't get to react and he said he can wait for my answer"

"That so, you're so lucky Hikaru-chan. I can tell Rengoku-san will treat you well.....Unlike a certain man"

She whispered at the end but Hikaru still clearly heard her.

"I know Shinobu-san, and unlike a certain man? You mean Tomioka-san? He's the Water Pillar right?"

Hikaru might be a dreamy person sometimes but she is also a good observer with those around her. She could narrowly guess that Shinobu was referring to the Water Pillar since everytime they would land a topic about demon slayer duties, Tomioka Giyuu's name would often appear in their conversation. And with all the men that Shinobu knew, it was Giyuu whom she had spent the most even when it is only on missions and rare encounters outside their duties.

The Pillar flinched lightly at her wild guess.

Shinobu is known to be kind and gentle but deadly. She may always wear her sweet smile everytime but if you look closer, it's not always the case. Her smile hides a lot of emotions though she can still smile genuinely.

She can be blunt and teasing at times and that always happens around a ravenette stoic man. A facade she upholds to mask her feelings towards the man. Demon Slaying is far from rainbows and butterflies. Thus love sometimes isn't an option on that field of work but we are all human. We feel a lot of emotions. And when we do, there's no push button to stop those feelings in an instant. And so does Shinobu.

"Now why do you say so? Am I that obvious?"

Shinobu didn't even try to deny. Hikaru trusts her fully and so does she.

And yes, she likes the reserved and quiet man. She likes Giyuu Tomioka that's why she always teases him. It's the only way to engage a moment with him as he likes to stay quiet all the time. He's always serious and she sometimes felt his loneliness and maybe that's what drew her to him. She wanted to maybe atleast know him better as she felt their similarities. How they were broken on the inside beacause of the tragedies they have faced and the lives they have lost.