Prologue

CLAUDIA

I sat in the gazebo at the Orsini Vineyard with a quiet smile on my face. Watching the progressing wedding reception.

At last, my idiotic grandson finally tied the knot today to his adored Francesca in a lavish wedding for everyone in the elite Italian society to witness. I shook my head in resignation. What would happen to Marco if I didn't give him a nudge and acknowledge his feelings for Francesca? Maybe he would die as a bachelor without giving me and his Nonno great-grandchildren.

The thought was so repulsive that I would do everything in my power to find him a bride even if shoving every eligible ladies in Italy under his nose.

Nope, I won't let that happened.

What's the use of having such good genes if they aren't going to produce the next generation of the Orsini clan? Thank goodness that is not going to happen now. A slight smile fitted my lips my new granddaughter-in-law is finally pregnant with their first child. I hope she's carrying twin or better yet triplets to make up for the lost time when Marco was busy sowing his wild oats instead of finding himself a good wife and start a family with her.

"What are you doing here? Don't tell me you are hiding?"

I smiled when I heard the voice of my husband of more than half a century now. This man even in his early eighties now doesn't fail to make my heart beat wildly in my chest as if I was still in my early twenties.

He took the vacant chair next to me. "I expect you to be at the center of the party enjoying your success that our stubborn grandson finally takes a wife."

I gave him a knowing smile. "Let them enjoy their day. An old woman like me is contended watching our Marco finally tied the night to a good woman."

"I thought he was really engaged to that pretty Sicilian girl he introduced on my birthday."

I snorted. For a moment, I also thought that he really got engaged to that beautiful girl. Don't get me wrong, I like that girl but she's not the one for Marco. Anyone with eyes could see that. "You know your grandson. He likes creating trouble just like his Nonno."

My husband frowned in my direction. "Why does my name is being drag here?"

I raised an eyebrow in my direction. "Are you going to deny it, dear? Didn't you give me a lot of trouble when we first met?"

Alfonso scowled darkly. "I don't remember such thing. I think it's the other way round you came to my life like temperamental sandstorm. From the first day I met you my life turned upside down specially the way you messed with my heart."

I permitted myself to smile slightly to his handsome face. "If weren't for that little mistake we wouldn't meet at all."

"I beg to disagree." My husband took my hand in his and intertwined our fingers together. "I believe we will meet sooner or later since you are destined to be my wife."

I laughed out loud. What a smooth-tongue devil! No wonder he's also quiet a womanizing in his youth just like Marco our adored grandson who is the mirror image of this man in his younger days. "Don't give me that crap, Alfonso. I remember it clearly that you fancy someone when we first met."

He was about to open his mouth to deny it but I gave him a challenging look. I might be an old woman now but my mind is still sharp.

"What are you going to refute it?" I provoked him, giving him a warning glance in case wrong answer came out of his mouth he will find himself sleeping outside the bed tonight.

"I am invoking my rights against self-incrimination." He stated with a deep sigh.

I leaned back on my chair studying the uncomfortable expression of my husband. "Perhaps, you want me to remind you on how we first met, Alfonso?"

"Mia moglie," he gave me an irresistible smile that has no effect on me at the moment. "I would love to revisit our past but there are some parts I'd rather skip altogether."

I gave him a big fake smile. "Oh, we're not going to skip parts. I would remind you with everything starting the day I mistook you for someone else..."