Chapter 24

CLAUDIA

I still don't know if my decision had been correct and submit to the demand of that annoying Alfonso Orsini and come to his parents' party. I gritted my teeth as I look around when I found the curious stares of the people attending the luncheon hosted by the Orsini's.

Where the hell is that man?

He should be here around awaiting me. I didn't know anybody here and it feels like I am a gatecrasher at their party. Even though, I slightly feel the uncomfortable questioning look in my direction I held up my head high. Nope. I won't let this group of people intimidate me.

I am the fabulous Claudia Romano, after all.

I was arrested by the bright smile of the older man who resembled Alfonso making his way in my direction. I immediately realized that I met this man before he is Papa's employer. The formidable Salvatore Orsini, the same man who also happened to tag along with my golf bonding with Papa along with his son several weeks before.

"Good to see you here," He greeted jovially. There was an all too friendly smile playing on his lips while staring at me. "I'm so glad that you're here."

Well, I will not be here if your son didn't blackmail me, sir. I wanted to say it to him out loud but I am afraid that he will think that his son has the upper hand here and he could blackmail me around. Instead, I offered him a gentle smile like a very refined lady. "Alfonso invited me, sir. Sorry for intruding on your party."

The older Orsini instantly shook his grey head. "Oh, no, you are very much welcome in our vineyard, Claudia."

"Thank you, sir."

He waved his hand dismissively. "Please, call me Salvatore. Don't be so formal around me it makes me feel old when you address me such."

"Salvatore, dear?" A beautiful older woman slipped her arm around Alfonso's father's arm and smiled graciously in my direction. "Hello, dear."

"Amore," there was unmistakable affection in Salvatore's voice when he gazed down at the woman in his arms. "I would like to introduce our son's special friend, Claudia Romano. She's also the daughter of my trusted attorney."

Instant sparks lit the older woman's face. There was a tight smile on my face while looking at them. I don't think I like the way they already assume things between me and their son. "Oh, I am so happy to meet you, dear. My name is Elisabetta or Elisa for short."

"I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance, ma'am." I took the offered hand and shook it briefly.

"Elisa," she corrected me gently with a smile. "Don't be so formal around us. We're almost a family."

I blinked at the older woman's statement. "Excuse me?"

The smile on her face widened considerably. "As I said, we're almost a family. You know, your father is working for my husband so our families are pretty much connected."

"Ah," I gave a nervous laugh. For a moment... I shook my head resolutely. Nope. Maybe I was just thinking too much here. There's no way that they would be thinking of pairing me with their son, right?

Don't be absurd, Claudia.

An awkward silence stretched around us. How in the world did I find myself trapped with Alfonso's parents? It feels like I've been caged by a loving couple who were in the process of finding a bride for their bachelor son.

"Ah, you're finally here." And then, I found the familiar voice of their son who spoke behind us. There was a sigh of relief that escape me. Finally, he was here. He should be here the moment I arrived so I didn't have this slightly awkward conversation with his parents.