Chapter 22

CLAUDIA

Since Alfonso arrived, I couldn't concentrate on what Dante had been saying to me. I was only aware of how Anna and him whispering and laughing in the kitchen. I couldn't help the frown forming on my face.

What could they have possibly been talking about?

I scowled in the direction of Anna when I notice her whisper something in Alfonso's ear while throwing a glance in my direction. I bet that she's gossiping about me and Dante. I shouldn't be affected by her words whatever lies she's spouting with that man but that wasn't the case because I am!

I couldn't help but be curious about what she was saying about me to that man. What if she's talking nonsense to him? I shook my head slightly, there's no need to get vexed with such a trivial matter. What I need to do for now is focus on Dante and think of a way how to send him away as soon as possible and then I would deal with those two in the kitchen.

"...are you alright, Claudia?"

I blinked when I realize that Dante had been staring at me for a quiet while now. I smiled in his direction reassuringly. "Of course."

"You seem in deep thought," he remarked, looking at me intently. "I think you haven't heard a word I was saying."

I shook my head immediately. Now I feel bad for thinking of anything other than him I should focus my attention on him since it's been a while since the last time I saw him. "No. I am listening to you."

He smiled slightly in my direction. "I don't think so. From the moment that guy arrive you kept on glancing in their direction. Who is that guy, by the way?"

Trust him to be this observant, the smile on my face slightly falters. "Oh, that guy...?"

"Is he your friend's new suitor?" he queried gently before I have the chance to formulate my reply to him.

I was lost for words for a moment. How could I explain to him that it's me that he's courting and not Anna? Or at least pretending to court in public, I corrected myself silently.

Dante glanced in the direction of the kitchen briefly. Before he settled his gaze back on me and then added. "He's not the type of person I would associate with your friend's suitor but seeing them together now I think they're not a bad match."

There was somewhat about his words that made something inside me rebel at the idea. Can't he see that they're mismatched? Alfonso Orsini wasn't the type of man I would for Anna he's just too cunning for my friend. Besides, the man in question already has the actress that he likes and he would not spare Anna a second glance.

"The truth is..." I started and then paused. Wait, why do I even bother with the need to explain why Anna isn't the best match for that guy? I don't have to explain anything! I shook my head to clear my thoughts. "...never mind."

Dante was giving me an odd look. He was probably thinking that I have been acting weird tonight. Who can blame me when he suddenly shows up when I was about to have a date with Alfonso? I need to explain to him why that guy was here. I don't want miscommunication in the future since I also want Dante to feel a little bit of competition so he could pursue me even better. Who knows this may be the chance I was waiting for so I would be sure about his feelings for me.

"Dante, about that guy." I took his hands on mine and squeezed them tightly. I was aware of how my heart was pounding so hard in my chest but I ignore it and focus my attention on his handsome face. "The truth is..."

I abruptly stopped when there was a loud knock on our door. I bit back the curse that wanted to escape my mouth. Oh, for the love of God! Who could this be? How many visitors do we need to entertain tonight? As far as I am concerned, we were not expecting anyone tonight.