Chapter 27

ALFONSO

I sighed for the nth time as I stared at the picturesque scenery of Lake Como. I still don't know if my decision had been correct to come here with Violet.

I looked at the woman standing beside me at the dock. I have no choice, I thought silently. I need to sort out this mess as soon as possible to avoid further misunderstandings with Claudia. Bad enough that she's not talking with me after our fun harvesting at the vineyard.

"I'm so excited about our vacation, Alfonso." Violet encircled her arm around my arm as she smiled alluringly in my direction.

I felt uncomfortable with her touch. I carefully put some safe distance between us. I smiled apologetically at her. "I don't think this will be a good idea." I looked around at the people who were also out in the streets. "People can see us. It will not be good for your image."

She pouted at me, adjusting the wide-brim hat she's been wearing. "I think people will not recognize me, though."

"Still," I countered, smiling reassuringly. "We don't want to jeopardy your career with our carelessness on this trip, don't we?"

She remained silent, she didn't like what I said. The displeasure was visible on her beautiful face. She didn't like that I am being cautious when in the past I am eager to have her in my arms whenever it's possible.

Someone from the hotel where we will be staying fetched us from the docks. We silently slid inside the back of the car. There was a painful silence inside the luxurious interior of the vehicle. She was looking pointedly out her window while we were traveling to the hotel.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. I could feel that my head starts to pound due to a headache. I didn't have the chance to talk to Claudia before I flew here to Lake Como with Violet. I want to reassure her that this was not what she probably thinks.

Wait, does she even think that way? Maybe I am just assuming things here.

But I want to inform her that I didn't come here because I want to spend time with Violet but rather, I want to get the facts straights and tell this woman about my change of heart.

I didn't want to break news to Violet via telephone conversation. I want to be to tell her in person that I may no longer continue to pursue her since my heart suddenly longs for another woman. I hope that Violet would understand since her lengthy absence here in Italy made me forced to spend some other time with another woman and I didn't mean to fall for that woman but it just happened.

I was deep in my thoughts when I didn't realize that we finally arrived at the hotel's entrance. Before Violet slid out of the car she wore her oversized sunglasses while securing the wide-brim hat at the top of her head. I didn't know if that was just a celebrity thing or if she was being cautious not to be recognized by other hotel guests.

We walked into the spacious lobby of the high-end hotel and went directly to the reception area. "Reservations under Signorina Ricci."

"Ah, yes." The woman behind the counter smiled graciously at Violet. Either she recognized this famous actress and hide her awe very well or she's used to having celebrities in their hotel. "The presidential suite, is it?"

"Yes," Violet replied, tapping her manicured finger on the counter.

"Actually," I interrupted their conversation. "I'd like to get another room for me."

I could almost see the astonishment in Violet's eyes beneath the large sunglasses she's been wearing. "What are you talking about? Why do you want another room besides the one I book for us? Is there something wrong at the presidential suite?"