Chapter 9

CLAUDIA

"I really don't understand how this kind of party works."

I commented once Alfonso led to the beautifully arranged table and watched the waiter place small amount of food in my ridiculous huge plate.

The man beside me laughed softly. "What makes you say that?"

I looked at him and the small amount of food on my plate. "I mean, look at this. We are in a jaw-dropping mansion and will serve this quantity of food? Unbelievable."

Alfonso shook his head with amusement visible in his eyes. "This is how they serve food with this kind of event."

"Why?"

He shrugged nonchalantly as he leaned down to whisper something on my ear as if it was a confidential matter. I couldn't help but to smell his manly perfume. "People attend this gathering don't usually eat meals, that's why."

I searched for his eyes and I think the more I stare deep in his eyes the more it looks compelling for me. "So, they can set me apart from this crowd then? Since I am the odd one."

"Who cares?" He announced indifferently, sipping his vintage champagne. "I don't complain. Sometimes being unique is good."

I raised an eyebrow in his direction while the corner of my mouth curved with a smile. "Are you somewhat complimenting me, Signore Alfonso?"

He looked at me with such irritation. "Just eat your food, Claudia."

I sighed deeply while staring down at my food. "I don't think I will get full with this amount of serving." I looked at him questioningly. "Do you think I can ask for another serving?"

He chuckled deeply, several heads turned and looked at our direction. "Who know? Maybe we can ask for another plate later."

"Hey, don't judge me." I told him defensively, as I start to dig my food. "My last meal today was my lunch and I haven't eaten anything yet since and then you drag me along in this boring party. I thought there would be a lot of foods."

He scowled in my direction. "You shouldn't skip meals."

"I am busy at the office." I replied, after sampling my food. "My boss is rushing me with the materials we need for the next issue of our brand."

I finished my meal in no time. Who would be surprised when my food was placed at the center of a very large plate? Hell, even a toddler can finished that meal without a fuss.

I looked at Alfonso in surprise when he suddenly push his plate in my direction. "Here. You can have my food."

"You're not going to eat?"

His lips twitched with a private smile. "Seeing a woman eat heartily makes me happy. Go on, dig in."

I switched our plate. I placed my empty plate in front of him while his untouched food in front of me. I grinned at his quizzical look. "So it's not obvious that I eat for two people. Just sit there and pretend that you already done with your meal."

Alfonso chortled while shaking his head. "You are really one of a kind, Claudia."

I watched him fish out something in his pocket and made a face when I saw him getting a cigarette from box and place it in his mouth.

"Can I request something?" He was about to lit that cigarette when he stopped and stared at me.

"What?"

"Can you stop smoking?" I paused for a moment thinking that I might sounded wrong. I don't want to be rude or something but the smell of nicotine really irritates the hell out of me. "At least when we're together. I really hate the smell of it. Besides, smoking is bad for your health."