Chapter 11

CLAUDIA

It was just a short drive outside the city where I told Alfonso to be a good spot for our picnic date. It's a slightly crowded park with a beautiful lake. He parked his car on the side when he turn off the engine I remove my seatbelt and released a grateful sigh. "Thank goodness we arrive safely."

"What did you say?" He asked with a tilt of his eyebrows.

I looked at him through my dark sunglasses. "I didn't realize that you were trying to kill me, Signore Orsini."

He frowned at me as he unclasped his seatbelt. "What makes you say that? I am not trying to kill you, Claudia."

"Your speed is over the top," I informed him with a glare. "I almost believe that we're going to crash to the car in front of us with your speed!"

Alfonso rolled his eyes in my direction. "Oh, come on, I am a very talented driver. I've never been into an accident before rest assured that you're safe with me."

"Let me remind you that you're not a race car driver. You should abide by the speed law the Italian government has set. It doesn't matter if you drive a sports car you are being reckless."

"You are safe with me," his mouth twitched with a knowing smile as he look at me intently. "Don't tell me you were scared a while ago."

I glared at him insolently. "Obviously, I am silently praying for my safety. I am too young and too beautiful to die in a tragic car accident because of a careless driver like you. My God, I am yet about to start the beautiful love story of me and Dante."

Alfonso made a sound of grunt as he went out of his car. I was still glowering at him while watching him come to my side. He opened my car door. "Look, can we just drop this conversation? I don't want to start a useless argument with you. How about we just focus on our picnic?"

"Fine," I grumbled, placing my hand into his waiting hand. There's no point in reprimanding him we somehow arrive safely that's what is important now.

"You look extra pretty today," he commented, looking at me from head to toe.

"This is I usually look," I informed him with a smile. There's no need to tell him that I made sure to look more beautiful with the intention of making him fall in love with me with my charm.

He led me under the shade of a huge tree not far from the lake where most of the people gathered around. I looked the way he was holding my hand with his. Is this intentional or not? "Wait for me here."

I gave him a silent nod and watched him get our picnic basket on the trunk of his car. I became aware of the female stares being thrown in his direction. I can't deny the fact that he's such a handsome man and everywhere he went he commanded attention with his arresting looks.

"Good thing I brought a picnic blanket for this trip." Alfonso laid out the red gingham blanket on the lawn and placed our basket nearby. "Come, have a seat."

I removed my sunglasses and sat down on the blanket tucking my legs on one side. Alfonso sat across to me checking the content of our picnic basket. "Before you got the wrong idea. Let me clear this to you I didn't prepare for that food, it was Anna, not me."

His lips curved at the corner while giving me an interesting look. "Why, Claudia mia? I didn't say anything. Why so defensive?"

I threw a disapproving look in his direction. "I am just making clear things to avoid confusion. I don't want you to think that I am excited about this trip when we are merely pretending in this courtship."

"Still," Alfonso said, placing the array of food in front of us. "Why not enjoy the food prepared by your roommate? I am sure she just wants us to have a happy day with our trip."