Chapter 40

CLAUDIA

This was not what I expected would happen to me when I was about to go to the office. There were men outside my doorway and they forced me to come with them for some unknown reason. For a moment, I thought they were that actress cohort since I insulted her back in that club now she's plotting my demise because as far as I am concerned I have not made enemies with anyone other than her.

I have to admit that for a moment I was so scared for my dear life. What if they would kill me? No one will know about my unfortunate death if that happens since no one witnessed that kidnapped me early in the morning.

I was hoping that Anna would realize that I was missing that I didn't manage to go to the office since I intentionally toss my purse off the sofa for her to see. I hope that she'll notify the authorities about my disappearance as soon as possible.

When they took me to this lavishly decorated house my fear intensified as I thought that they would harm me or even torture me. But I was surprised when they treated me more as a house guest rather than captive. One of them was also kind enough to explain to me that they didn't intend to harm me but they were after someone who was dear to me and they will use me as bait to lure him.

For a moment I thought they were referring to Alfonso and it makes me wonder what kind of bullshit he did to these dangerous-looking men to have me thrown in the middle of the chaos like some sort of a sacrificial lamb.

When I asked them who they were talking about their answer surprised me even more. Never in my wildest dreams, I have thought Dante—the perfect gentleman who courted me have some ties with the mafia. Nope, not just ties—I corrected myself—he's the freaking son of this man's worst enemy meaning he's the heir to his father's underground business.

I couldn't believe what I just heard at the moment. This must be the reason why he's so secretive about his life. I mean, I never even met his family I only know them by the stories he's been telling me about them now I was not even sure if the story he'd been telling me were all true.

Their leader assured me that they would not harm me provided that I should behave accordingly and not do something stupid while I was in their custody. Of course, I was not fooled enough to antagonize him he might be friendly to me but I could see the warning in his eyes while he was politely talking to me.

So I did suggest that we should play cards to kill time while waiting for my rescue to arrive. For the time being, I made myself busy with playing cards with my guards but at the back of my mind, I was anxious about Dante's safety once he arrived to rescue me. I knew that he will not hesitate to come here even if he knew this was only a trap to get him to save me but I fear that his recklessness will result in unthinkable.

I barely manage to hide my disbelief when I saw Alfonso storm inside the room with Dante holding a gun in his hand. Who does he think he is? Some sort of an action star? I wanted to reprimand him but I held my temper in check I don't want to create a scene while inside the enemy's den.

I kept my composure in check making sure that I looked unbothered when they showed up here and about to rescue me deep inside I was aware of how hard my heart pounded inside my chest I could barely breathe evenly.

I thought everything went well and we were on our way home until commotion erupted between Dante and the leader of this group and then gunshots were fired and both of them were hit by a bullet. I was horrified at the scene Dante's shoulder was bleeding severely thankfully they let us go because their boss was also wounded.

We rushed him to the hospital even if that stubborn man kept refusing to go to the nearest hospital he insist that we should take him to his house where his doctor will patch him up but we didn't listen to his command and brought him to the nearest hospital we could find.