Chapter 35

ALFONSO

We're finally back in Italy.

I looked down at our intertwined hands as we exited the airport terminal with satisfaction. After several hours of traveling, we're finally here.

"Tired?" I asked while waiting for the taxi to pick us.

She looked up and smiled at me. "Not really."

Hard to believe that we're finally back here in Italy when only yesterday we're in a different city enjoying every minute of our time together and helping her grandparents' in their little restaurant. So far, I think I made a progress in my campaign to get her Nonno's approval on our relationship.

At first, I was the unwanted guest during their family meal but as days passed by I became the de facto member of their family. Even though Signore Romano doesn't like me for some reason he still prepared food for me every meal which I am really grateful but Nonna Romano was an entirely different story. She's that kind of grandmother who was gentle and welcoming. She accepted me no time when Claudia introduced us.

I let out a heavy sigh. I should feel bad that I unintentionally led them to believe that I was on my way to my vacation in Los Angeles when I learned that Claudia's father wants her to come home as soon as possible when in truth that I would also be about to go home with my girlfriend because I wouldn't let her travel alone.

Ah, girlfriend...

That word feels so weird yet so right to hear. Sometimes I still couldn't believe that Claudia is now my girlfriend because when I chase her in America I was not even sure she would ever talk to me after our not-so-pleasant partings in the vineyard.

But it seems that fate was on my side on this not only that she became my girlfriend but I also have the chance to spend time with her like any normal couple. I am not saying that we're not a normal couple here but in New York, we do whatever we want without other people prying in our relationship while here in Italy there's a high chance that the press would get wind of our relationship and start printing stories about us. This was one of the times that I hate that I came from such a wealthy family where paparazzi were always hot on our heels.

"...Alfonso?"

I blinked when I realize that Claudia had been saying something and I was deep in my thoughts. "What?"

She titled her head to the side while looking at me with a puzzled expression. "Are we going to ride the taxi or what?"

"Oh, yes, of course," I replied, searching for our luggage on my side.

It seems that Claudia read my mind when she rolled her eyes and tugged me inside the waiting taxi. "You're so deep in your thoughts that you didn't even notice that the driver already put our luggage in the trunk of his taxi."

"I'm sorry..." I smiled shyly in her direction.

"What's wrong?" She inquired curiously once we're inside the taxi and on our way to her apartment.

I took her hand and locked our fingers together. I lifted our intertwined fingers placing a kiss on the back of her hand. "Nothing. I am just reminiscing our time together in New York."

That bought a smile on her lovely face it was as if she also recall our happy time in America and then her lips curved with a teasing smile. "You mean, you miss serving tables at a small restaurant?"

"Hey, I enjoy every minute of it," I said defensively. "I even my bonding time with your grandfather, amore. I love how welcoming he is."

Claudia burst out laughing due to my sarcasm, her beautiful eyes sparkled with delight. She tapped my shoulder tenderly. "I apologized the way he treats you but thank you for keeping up with my Nonno's harsh behavior."