Chapter 37

CLAUDIA

When the ex-lover of the guy you were dating was also inside the building how do you like her to see you together? Me? In the arms of my man, of course. And that's what happened after my conversation with the actress in the bathroom. She went out of the powder room and the shock on her face was palpable when she saw us kissing just in front of the bathroom.

I threw her a goading smile when I noticed her presence and I was still in Alfonso's arms. I could see in her expression that she was just keeping herself in check because she couldn't possibly afford a scene in the public hallways of this club without a scandal erupting on tomorrow's papers so she just walked away after throwing a seething glance in my direction.

"Happy?" I heard Alfonso ask.

I raised an eyebrow in his direction with a slight smile on my face. "Are you unhappy seeing that kind of sad expression from your ex?"

"I'm the reason why she's like that now." He answered gravely, tucking some of my hair behind my ear. "I was the one who break things with her and she just can't accept that a man would turn her down just like that."

"I agree," I stated, looking at the retreating woman with her head held up high like a diva that she was. "It makes me wonder what the hell you saw in me to throw her away."

"Darling, don't ever think low of yourself. You are a very special woman and I am always grateful that our paths met. I couldn't imagine my future without you in it."

I looked at him straight in his dark eyes. "I don't feel insecure about that woman if that's what you are implying, Alfonso. I am merely curious what qualities I have that you come to love."

"Both good and bad."

I blinked at him, unable to believe my ears. "Excuse me?"

Alfonso laughed at me, pinching my cheek playfully. "What I mean to say is that I like your good qualities and also your bad ones. I love everything about you from the top of your head until the tip of your toes even your imperfections."

"What kind of bad attributes do I have?" I still couldn't believe that he has the nerve to tell me that I have such a thing I was dumbfounded, you know.

He guffawed, his eyes lit with deviltry. "Why do you want to know?"

I threw a disapproving look in his direction. "Because I believe that I don't have such qualities on me, Signore."

"Oh, I hate to break this with you, my love, but you have those qualities and sometimes it makes me think that they were a dominant part of you."

"What?!" I glared at him insolently. "Give me an example of these bad traits you're talking about. Come one. Give me one."

He avoided my murderous glare for a moment as if pretending to think before focusing his amused eyes on me again. "Well, I am now fairly certain that you're a vengeful woman. You're someone when someone crosses you, you will not rest until you get even to that person. You're also a very manipulative woman who acts innocently but prepared the whole thing..." he cocked his eyebrow. "Shall I continue?"

I bit my bottom lip. I didn't know that he knew me that well or maybe he got to know me on a deep level. I suddenly felt conscious about his assertion. "I'm sorry if that's not the qualities you're looking for in a woman maybe it would be better if you will just come back to that actress."

I was about to walk away but he stopped me from my tracks. There was a playful smile on his lips. "What's wrong with you women who will start topics like this and they will be the ones who will easily get angry in the end."