CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE💜

Geraldine had heard about the FGIQC before now. Although since she got into senior secondary, Hilton College, hadn't brought back the trophy, in fact since the existence of the school. They either failed along the way, got close to winning, but never won. Like the last set which came second place. FGIQC was a quiz competition held for Senior secondary students in the county.

It's an annual competition, hosted by the federal government. It starts as an inter-school competition. The best school represents the state, for the finals. Which is an inter-state. The competition takes over a month, before the final competition.

"You know yourselves! Pick five of the best in your class, who would be representing the school, and hopefully the state, I already spoke with your mates in the arts class. We got you two already, so we need three more." Mr John says, looking grim. "Don't forget its an inter-school competition first. And if we bring the trophy home, we won't just make a name for our state and school, but for yourselves." Mr John says.

"Absolutely." Mrs Otelemate contributes.

"So we have got you, " Mr John says looking at Ekanem. "Geraldine, who else? We have Munachi. That girl is a rare gem." Mr John says. Geraldine didn't miss Ekanem’'s face twitch into a frown.

"Sir, The new boy Jayden. I think he is better, you should test him. He is really good." Ekanem explains, without stopping to breath. She looked very serious. More like she would rather have Jayden than work with Munachi.

Immediately Jayden's name is mentioned, Geraldine's facial expression changes. She suddenly looks very serious.

"Sir, I think Munachi is better off. Besides she has more experience, like you said." Geraldine chips into the little conversation, she didn't miss the glare Ekanem threw on her. Although neither Mr John or Mrs Otelemate noticed the silent argument going on.

"You are on point. That girl is a star. She has won a lot of prizes for herself and previous school. What's the use of having such a priceless gem, when we can't make use of her. Besides, I already ruled her in before now." Mr John who was oblivious of the confrontation going on between his students says innocently.

Ekanem who couldn't hide the frown on her face, tries to keep a straight face.

“Also sir, we have Leo, we don't need Jayden. He is a new student. We don't know his capability. | mean Ekanem saying he is worth it, doesn't guarantee..., "

"Gidi don't contradict my word. Because we are both bringing in suggestions. And the way you are driving it like it's a personal issue is..."

"Excuse you! Who is been personal here?" Geraldine cuts her off immediately.

"You are being sentimental." Ekanem attacks.

"Not another word.” Mrs Otelemate chips in. They could hear the seriousness in her voice.

"I think Jayden is good too. He did superb in Mr Demilade's text. I was there when he was invited into his office. But I would text him, if he isn't, we would drop him. So we have Munachi, the both of you, Leo and Jayden.” Mr John say, meanwhile Geraldine facial expression changes, immediately she heard Jayden's name.

"Sir, why don't we take Ukeme instead of Munachi?" Ekanem blurts out boldly. Making Geraldine turn to her direction.

"Abeg, we aren't looking for completion of number." Geraldine blurts out without thinking. The look on Ekanem's face, showed she had been provoked.

"What do you mean by that?" Ekanem attacks Geraldine, who stared back at her without blinking.

"Ekanem!" Mr John warns now turning to Geraldine. "| don't want such statement again." He warns.