S2 E5 : ☠️ ZB! ☠️ (Ch. 183)

"Something must've happened here. Barn didn't look that way six months ago."

Vasquez took notice of the different look the place had taken on since he had first been here. I looked over at the barn, which didn't look that bad, but it must've looked better due to the upkeep of the citizens here. 

It doesn't seem like anyone has worked on it in about three months. Maybe this place fell right after he had moved on? Something to the right caught my attention and I immediately wanted to go to it once my mind registered what it was. 

"There's a sheep!" I grinned from ear-to-ear, getting out of the truck's bedding. 

Before I could try and catch it, something snagged my collar from behind. 

"There's a good sign." Warren commented, but wasn't the limb that had attached itself to me. 

I crossed my arms over my chest, knowing it was 10K when his calloused fingers had brushed against the back of my neck when he readjusted his hand.

"I just wanted to pet it. I wasn't going to go too far out." I promised, but to him, it was an empty promise that had no evidence. 

I probably would've went a ways out to try and touch the animal. That's only because they're so fluffy!

"Well, we're not going in there blind. So, Vasquez, you take the north fence. 10K and (Y/N), you go south."

Yes! I get to go scouting! Not by myself, but it's still something. I grinned wider as I turned around to look at the waiting 10K. He finally released me from his grasp to hop down from over the side of the bed. 

"Addy and I got over-watch. Be back in 20."

When a task wasn't exposed to his knowledge, Doc shrugged his shoulders and began to walk back towards the open tailgate. 

"Fine, I'll just take a nap."

After agreeing on the given chores, the three of us headed out into our assigned directions. I grabbed one of my knives from their holster, holding it in between my middle and ring finger. My thumb latched to it's pointed side, keeping the weapon steady in my hand. 

"Do you think anyone is still here?" I questioned my temporary commander, trampling over the slowly dying crops.

I wonder how long it's been since this place has actually been farmed on. 

"I don't know." He replied, shortly. 

"I bet I could learn a new culture if they were still alive."

We walked a good 20-minute ways out when a high-pitched scream was echoed into the open air from the right side of us. We instantly raised our guard, knowing the reasons why such a voice would be heard in the land of crops.

When I turned my head to change directions, I noticed Amish women and a Amish men starting to back away from us. The hoes and pitch forks in their hands seemed to come closer to their bodies as their eyes went wide. 

"Hey, wait! It's okay!" I assured with a throwing knife stuck in between my fingers and a sniper right beside me. 

Oh, yeah, (Y/N), that'll definitely calm a nonviolent person down and make them trust you. Great job. 

"We're not zombies!" 10K shouted next, not knowing if they knew the difference between us or the true enemies. 

He raised his gun in the air in a 'not-going-to-shoot-you-ma'am' way, hoping to settle their pointing figures. 

"Schvot doot! Schvot doot!"

"Schvoo?" I questioned, turning my head to look at someone that's suppose to know more than me. 

At the same time I did that, we both heard a growl and feet rushing towards us. When 10K noticed the Zs coming, he tossed his rifle towards me, horizontally. I dropped my own weapon, catching the gun at the stock and barrel. 

The same time I caught the heavy weapon against my chest, was the exact moment a Z tackled me to the ground. Using the barrier that 10K had given me, I pushed against the squirming weight of the undead. 

He'd push back against it, wanting to taste my neck. 

"Fuck!" I grunted, not realizing how much a big Z could weigh out.

I breathed out heavily as I was lifting moving weights, wanting to keep the Z as high as my arms could muster. In the corner of my eye, I watched as 10K was shuffling around his own opponent.

When he got close enough to me, he used all of his muscle and shoved his enemy to the ground. Taking the break, he managed to kick mine off. I took the Z's moment of haze to climb on top of him, using the gun as a barrier again. 

With the rifle against his throat and my knees on top of his shoulders, I leaned over and grabbed my fallen weapon. The worm beneath me grabbed at every itch of my body, trying to get a snack before it's death date. 

Ignoring the stabbing pains I felt since my palms felt relief from the weight of the gun and the dead weight, I twisted my knife around and stabbed the control center with ease. Before I could breathe properly, I rolled off the corpse and grabbed the given weapon. 

I caught the sight of 10K holding the heavier man back by gripping it's shoulder and having his forearm against his neck. I could hear the sheep making noise from behind us, bleeping in guard. 

I laid down flat on my stomach, using the man I had just killed as a pod. I leveled the gun up, pointing the barrel in 10K's direction. 

"One eye open!" He reminded, shuffling his feet back and forth, trying to keep balance and hold the Z as still as he could. 

"I got this!" I shouted back, locating the Z's body after seeing 10K's. 

"Never close both your eyes!"

"I got it! I got it!" 

My right eye stayed open whilst I focused through the scope. I could see the dirt particles both the men had made, but I focused on the target. I moved all kinds of ways to try and get a good angle on the one. 

When I knew I had the Z's head in line with the red dot, I didn't think twice about squeezing the trigger backwards. I didn't expect it, but through the scope, I could visibly see the cloud of dark green smoke poof from the Zs' mouth and eyes after the bullet had made eye contact. 

The mysterious smoke covered 10K's face and the air around the the entry and exit wound of the dead.

"I got you." I breathed out a sign of relief when my job was done. 

10K, on the other hand, was still trying to save people he didn't even know. Neither of us had the time to question the powder that had exploded onto his face and down his clothing. Well, I had more time on my hands, because I wasn't worried about saving the people. 

He got beside me, but diagonal from my horizontal body. Before he laid down flat on his body, he had grabbed his own weapon from my grasp. He laid the pod arms across my back while I laid beside the dead man. 

A lot quicker than I had done, he killed the Z that the Amish were trying to push back from. That's what I call teamwork. Once again, a green substance was exploded from the falling dead. None got on the people, though. 

"Schvot doot! Schvot doot!"

The woman continuously shouted before they ran off somewhere towards the barns, away from the corpses and their field. I guess seeing dead bodies aren't on their to-do list. 

"Hey!" 10K shouted, standing up to try and catch their attention but it was too late. 

Their backs were already to us and they were making halfway back home. Good thing we could take a guess where they were going. 

|| Teamwork makes the dream work ||