S.1 E.13 ~ Doctor of the Dead (Ch. 104)

I moved from my position beside them to stand facing them, not knowing or caring if either one of them could see me well.

"Let me see her."

"You can't keep her up." 10K refused to cough her over.

I originally planned to place my hand on top of Cassandra's good thigh, which was in front of me while her bad leg was against 10K's chest, but instead my hand felt the warmth of his long fingers.

I cleared my throat quietly, keeping my hand on top of his fingers. He needs to know I'm genuinely serious about this.

I can help.

"Doc can't keep her held up. Warren can't be held back. Murphy sure as hell won't offer his assistance. I'm the best shot at a few minutes of rest. Cassandra and I will power through it, won't we? If I feel any stitches breaking or itching, I'll give her back."

Even in the darkness where barely anything could be seen, I failed to find his chocolate orbs on my own but the prickly sensation of someone studying my face told me he found me.

He found me through the darkness. I could feel him search for any weak spots or lies, but I kept my face emotionless.

He read me like his favorite book, and we haven't even known each other long. The apocalypse has a way of making someone feel like you've known them your whole life when it's really only been a couple of months.

It throws so much shit, so many obstacles and hardships, you just learn to dodge them in sync with someone instead of watching the time go by.

"I can do this, 10K. You need rest."

"I won't be that far."

10K caved in faster than I had expected, but I didn't dare complain. We're all stronger together. All of us work to make it through the next level.

We benefit from the other; 10K gets rest and I make sure Cassandra is alright. Movement in the dark caught my attention.

10K moved to set Cassandra on her feet, carefully. I felt a soft hand clamp down on top of my shoulder for balance.

I took her gesture as a hint to take over her whole body weight. I can do this; I told him so.

I moved to get beside her while her grip on me tightened. Pain courses through her veins like heroin in an addict as she surprisingly stayed upright.

She's doing great so far. My hand wrapped around her waist, securely, letting her arm stay wrapped around my shoulders.

Most of her body weight was now against me, and let me inform you that the extra weight was killing my wrists already.

I refused to let a grunt of pain out once the full weight hit me. Another warm hand fell on top of my hand, almost scaring me until I realized that 10K had yet to move.

Well, I could only guess, and pray, it was 10K. The cool gaze of his eyes running around my facial features have more hints it was the boy in camo.

"I've got her, 10K. Go explore." I promised and encouraged, gripping Cassandra's right hip to keep her body against mine.

This way, some of her weight would actually be against my body instead of my wrists. My legs need more muscle anyway.

10K needs a break and I'm a big girl. At least, that's what I repeated to myself.

"I won't be far." 10K paraphrased his first sentence, finally slipping his calloused hand from on top of mine.

My right hand gripped Cassandra's hip while my left hand laced our fingers together, making sure she felt somewhat secure in my grasp.

Something in my chest was thrown into my throat at the simple touch that left my hand. I cleared it away, focusing on the only person that truly mattered at the moment.

Even though the sensation he brought through a simple touch left, the presence behind me stayed in it's spot.

He's giving me a chance to prove to him I can handle the extra responsibility, or prove to him I am weak and can only bark and not bite.

If I couldn't do it, he'd somehow know and grab her before I'd even have a chance to squeak out my disapproval.

He doesn't even trust me with our mutual friend; at least that's what I took his hesitance as.

A soft sigh moved pass my lips at the single thought. I trust him. With my life. With Cassandra's life.

Why can't he just trust me this once?

"He'll come around, (Y/N)."

Cassandra swallowed the ball of spit in her mouth after the short sentence she muttered.

"I want more of his trust, Cassandra." I whispered, not knowing how far 10K actually was since the presence behind us felt like it disappeared, "He trusts you already. He gives you so much of him."

"(Y/N), do you li--."

Before Cassandra could continue her sentence, 10K's voice overpowered her own.

"Over here."

Taking a deep breath, Cassandra and I began to follow the white lights, trying to stay close to them.

We stopped wobbling when I could make out the ugly color of Murphy's shirt. Only he'd wear that color.

Trying to zone out the flashing red, I could make out the open door and empty room. Oh, shit.

What if something was in here and escaped? What if it's still in this room, prowling?

How did the door even become unlatched?! I began to grip the end of Cassandra's shirt tighter, growing uneasy of the whole ordeal.

"We'll be fine." She mumbled in response to my anxiety-filled actions.

The sick woman on my right comforted me by squeezing the sleeve of my shirt before going back to gripping the fabric in her sticky hand.

"Shouldn't I be the one telling you that?"

"Better question is where'd it go?" Warren spoke up after someone had asked a question.

Ruckus erupted from the other end of the room, making all of us freeze in our spot as we listened.

Tension now had a knife to our throats and shoulders while stress found a new location in our mind sets.

We're all on the right side of the room, so what the hell was that? The escaped experiment?

"Well, whatever it is, it's still here." Murphy was the first to speak after we heard the strange noise.

Warren turned around as we all followed her movements. She shined her light in the general area until we caught the Z with light.

He looked similar to the big man our parents use to tell us about so we'd be good during Christmas.

He looked just like Santa if, you know, Santa was a zombie with bloody red and green substances dripping from the stringy, white beard.

The two colors almost clashed over the natural white color. Long fingernails were curled around a bar from a tall shelf.

Those things could slice watermelons with ease. Holy shit.

"Shut th--."

"There's another one." Doc interrupted Murphy's unfinished curse as his own flashlight depicted another Z hiding behind a pillar at the opposite end of Santa Z.

The new founded Z was different from Santa Z. This one was bald with wrinkles aging his green-looking face.

The wrinkled skin dipped down on his forehead. Is that a side effect from the scientists' vaccine, or was it before injected/bite?

He must've not smiled enough during his time living. Blood wasn't dripping down his chin nor were there any green substances, but the red stains smeared on his clothes said he has tasted blood.

More blood was smeared across his snarling lips and cheeks. What were these things eating before we showed up?

|| I want you close to me ||